• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it really better than copper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It quite possibly could be... but as I read it, the production mentioned isn't solid steel, but a special steelbased construct.

As such, you might wonder how the same concept would react if applied in copper.

Cheers, Flix

Hmm, if the costs of the processing of the special steel isn't too much, this could be a great advance in computer cooling. Think about it, as stated on their site, it could be used for semiconductor building, and the efficiency could be multiplied because of the fast dissipation.
Now, thats a completely different, does it dissipate heat as fast as copper or silver. If not, then its quite useless, because we want to release the heat into the air/water, and not just conduct it evenly, as in the case of such items as rice cookers

Cool find!

Now, I wonder if they're giving away samples. A 50x50mm sample of their AL-EX plate will do for now, thank you. For, uhh, testing purposes. :D

Of course it's a heat pipe. Exactly the same principle, just with a quirk... continuous unidirectional flow of gas bubbles+liquid through capillaries. Good idea. I wonder how they establish a direction for the flow when the heat is turned on - probably through miniature valves, but that would reduce efficiency.

Maybe we can convince one of the online retailers who participate in this forum (I'm sure there must be a few) to place a small order with them, if we can agree on the specs (material, thickness, dimensions, working fluid). I'd be interested in a piece to use as heat spreader/hot plate between the CPU and a conventional heatsink, see if there's any improvement in heat transfer.

That is really intresting. Something someone should test out? Anyone care to give me donations for testing purposes :D j/k

I think there should be a donation fund review team setup on ocforums. Like a team of 5 people. Everyone who wants a product reviewed by the team sends 1 dollar and the team collects it and buys the product and tests it and review it on ocforums

unix and linux said:
I think there should be a donation fund review team setup on ocforums. Like a team of 5 people. Everyone who wants a product reviewed by the team sends 1 dollar and the team collects it and buys the product and tests it and review it on ocforums

Me: "honey, i'm gonna maka a donation ok?
wife: "to what organization?"
Me: "Oh to 5 people whose gonna make a lot of people happy."
wife: "oh, that's nice baby...what foundation?"
Me: "ammm...we're going to call it, overclockers foundation"
wife: :bang head

Well, heatpipes work in a continuous unidirectional flow. Gas flows on the outer porus layers... the innards contains the higher density "wick" that works best with liquids, so the escaping gas + liquid absorbing wick action sets the direction of flow.

Except that in this setup, there's no real distinction between the "gas space" and the "wick" as they're both capillary tubes - plus, all contain a mix of liquid + gas bubbles, and moving through the hot/cold regions makes the bubbles bigger/smaller on account of liquid evaporation and gas expansion/contraction (whew!). Unless they put some kind of valves, there's nothing specific to start the mix flowing in one or the other direction due to symmetry.

Interesting! :)

Here's something important to find out.

Is this aluminum, copper, stainless steel and titanium
hybrid "4.8 times" more conductive than Silver in an active
or passive state?

Uhh, define active. Define passive. If you mean "with a fan or not", it shouldn't matter, thermal conductance does not depend on temperature, fans present, etc.

Is a heat pipe active or passive? This stuff is basically a collection of miniature heat pipes sandwiched between 2 sheets of metal. It will behave overall as a heat pipe.

Does the material in question disipate heat faster than
Silver when the heatsource is active or when the heatsource
has been removed?

Contrary to popular belief Aluminum will "bleed off" or dissipate
heat faster than Copper or Silver.
However, when the source is still active is another matter. ;)

Back