• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD cooling fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool, I don't use them though, I really don't think they are necassary unless you don't have any airflow around your HDD's at all... Though there are some instances where you need em I think.

They're a good idea to use... but in most cases I believe people skip them, because the fans are usually small, and run at high RPM's, and thus create some annoying sound.

I use em for the moment, with a rheobus installed to keep sound at a reasonable level, but when I do serious defragmenting, I usually turn em up to max, and then go for a nap on the couch.

Cheers, Flix

I use one and hate every shiny piece of metal in it. I use the Cooler Master Cool drive3 and it doesn't do anything but hold my drive in place. There is no rubber anywhere to help with vibrations and it is far from silent both of which are key selling points and both are false.

The fan pumps so little air and is so damn loud its amazing. I can't believe I was suckered into buying another Cooler Master product. This is the third of their products I have bought and none have worked properly or like they are sold as. Third strike: I won't buy another.

I have an airmaxx hardrive cooler which cost me 7 bucks.
I have the 80 gig Western Digital 7200rpm 8MB cache Special Edition Hardrive

Without the cooler, the Hardrive temps goto 50 celcius while scanning, 45 celcius while gaming, 32 celcius idle.

With the cooler, the hardrive temps goto 38 celcius while scanning, 35 celcius while gaming, 29 celcius when idle.

The AirMaxxx Hardrive cooler is VERY good and i Recommend it to everyone. Its very easy to install too.

I think frozencpu.com has ripoff deals no offense or anything.

I bought my hardrive airmaxx cooler for 7 dollars(8 dollars shipped) from www.newegg.com. On froozencpu its 20 dollars and they both perform the same.

oh i didn't get mind from frozencpu, i got mine from newegg for 7 dollars too... it was just the same type of hdd cooler.

MBM tells u ur hardrive temps IF YOUR HARDRIVES support S.M.A.R.T and temp montoring. Just enable it in the General tab and restart mbm.

What he said.

I think you have to enable scsi for SATA ones to work but I am not totaly sure on that, however most moder IDE HDDs on modern boards it should work for.

CrashOveride said:
Well you know 55C is the operating temp for Maxtor IDE HDD's... I would guess that is the case with most so 30C isn't hot at all...

are you serious??? where did you see that? that seems to be an awfully high temp.... mine idle around 21C... and i can try defragging, but temps prolly won't go up much.

i bought mine off newegg, i just gave you a link to frozencpu b/c i lost my memory for a sec. and that was the fastest link i could find.

stan03 said:

are you serious??? where did you see that? that seems to be an awfully high temp.... mine idle around 21C... and i can try defragging, but temps prolly won't go up much.

The specs on maxtor's website... Its in a PDF, I'll go get a link...

EDIT: here (The pdf near the bottom) I didn't say max... but that is what I meant lol.. that might change stuff a little... but stilll anything under 45 or so would seem perfectly fine to me.

Last edited:
Back