• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use a Thermaltake Spark 7 on an Athlon XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latexgurl

:rolleyes:

I did a stupid thing which because I am blond maybe thats inherent!!!;-)

I bought a Thermaltake heatsink a while back and didnt take a close look at it because I found a different heatsink I could use at the time for a computer I was building for a friend.

Unfortunately now I cant return it and I found it is a Spark 7 for Intel instead of an AMD heatsink. I didnt order a spark 7 i ordered a volcano at the time but didnt bother to check to see if this was right. DUH

My question is can I somehow modify the Spark 7 to work on a Athlon 1700xp? Or can I use the clips that came with it and adjust them without the compression crushing the processor?

Any help would be wonderful! or if you just want to call me a blonde go ahead. I guess having two university degrees doesnt keep you from making stupid mistakes.

thanks Alexandrea

im pretty sure u should be able to, but it would require having to clear out some of the middle copper fins to make way for the three-prong clips that socket-a uses

or another alternative would somehow make a bolt-on method and weld it onto the heatsink...but thats just a bit too much, i would suggest e-baying it and buying a NON-thermaltake heatsink, i dont like them, they overprice their products becuase they are well-known

Back