• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best SILENT Socket 462 heatsink for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

My new rig will consist of an Abit NF7-S v2.0 and a 2500+ in an antec sonata. i want to OC to 3200+ speeds, maybe a little higher, but i dont want a tornado blowing in my case...i need silence. I dont want to have to buy a heatsink and a separate fan only to spend more money on a fan controller to keep the noise down. so far, the Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu and the Thermaltake Silent Boost Have caught my eye. I could fit the zalman on the nf7-s w/a slight and simple mod with a dremel, so compatability is not issue. however, weight is. a 733g heatsink might not be practical considering i will be attending LANs every couple weeks to a month. if its really easy to crush your cpu with that heavy of a heatsink, i dont want to risk it. there is also the much ligher aluminum/copper hybrid of the zalman, but that ones just....:-/ . As for the Silent Boost, ive been reading mixed opinions: (1) it sucks, and so does everything else TT makes besides the smart fan 2, and (2) its great, even for overclocking. i know most of you would recommend getting an slk900/947 with a fan & controller, but it would cost quite a bit more and im assuming it wouldnt offer as good of a noise to performance ratio. what do u suggest?

Last edited:
well first of all, the zalmans perform very well with p4's, but suck bawls with AMD cpu's, they run quiet, not cool

i would suggest getting an slk-900 or 947 (u), the bolt-on not clip-on design, so it wont crush ur cpu when LANing and then get a high-flow panaflo, its around 53 cfm and 30 dba, its pretty quiet linky

i recommend panaflo's for silent cooling because they push less air, but is almost as efficient as a regular fan blowing maybe 10-20 cfm higher, the reason for this is because panaflo's blow air in a straight pattern, while other fans blow in a cone pattern, so panaflos would have more concentrated air on the cpu heatsink

i myself dont buy TT products besides their fans, they are just too expensive, like Intel, they over-price their products because of their famous name

I'm sure other people will mention it but another option is of course water cooling put you said price was an issue. So for your weight concious lannage I reccomend the Zalman CNPS 7000A-AlCu This is an aluminum copper hybrid with only a minimal gain in temperatures over the all copper versio, I've heard reports of 1-2c difference. This will also take care of the weight issue weighing in at 445 grams, for more info, heres a link http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000a-alcu.htm

I use a Zalman 7000A-AlCu and my temps are quite reasonable (40 deg idle, 48 deg. load) on a XP 2500+ o/c to 2100MHz. The weight thing is much less of a problem than it appears to be, because the Zalmans are the bolt-on type as well (use the 4 holes in the motherboard to attach) instead of being clipped to the socket. Unless the motherboard itself breaks, there's no chance of it crushing the CPU. :)

i like the panaflo/slk idea. would a panaflo at 30db be more effective than a tornado at 30db? the SLKs are pretty heavy also, but im inexperienced as to how much weight is too much. any comments on the silent boost?

EDIT: about the aluminum/copper hybrid of the zalman, does that really cool BETTER than the copper only one? the design on the al/cu seems kinda impractical, wouldnt an all copper base and all aluminum fins work better?

yes, as i posted earlier, it would, panaflos push more air out than others would at the same dba

i dont like thermaltake products, ie they are too expensive, u will be better off w/ a panaflo/slk

stamasd said:
The weight thing is much less of a problem than it appears to be, because the Zalmans are the bolt-on type as well (use the 4 holes in the motherboard to attach) instead of being clipped to the socket. Unless the motherboard itself breaks, there's no chance of it crushing the CPU. :)

so what about the all copper version? even tho it weighs 733g, would it be safe to move around every once in a while?

Back