• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And yet another reason to use AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Like many I live on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4000 ~ P3 850Mhz) but the cooling was never good. Stock under full load I could hit 73C, then about 2 years ago I cleaned up the stock heat sink and added AS3 and it lowered my load temp to 63C now Today I cleaned it up and added AS5 and my load temp dropped to 57C!! I don't know if it will do better of worse when it cures but it still is quite impressive. So IMHO if you have a laptop this may be a good option to those cooling pads (assuming you know how to do it)

well, a bit of advice is, when reapplying TIM's, lap the heatsink so it removes all remaining particles of the previous TIM, then clean it up with alcohol

and btw, gj, i usually try putting better thermal compounds on ym things like NB's, gpu's...and most importantly, cpu

Pretty good temp difference - probably more evident with a not as good heatsink. Sweet deal...I really need to pick some AS5 up, especially with my 1500 grit lapped waterblock.

dalilman52 said:
well, a bit of advice is, when reapplying TIM's, lap the heatsink so it removes all remaining particles of the previous TIM, then clean it up with alcohol

and btw, gj, i usually try putting better thermal compounds on ym things like NB's, gpu's...and most importantly, cpu
The stock heat sink is cast so it has lots of little pits and groves and the TIM was easy to clean up with a razor and alcohol. And because of its shape I can't lap it, but I did use a paper and AS5 to fill in the pits with a good rub down. Then applied AS5 to the CPU and reassembled it :) and my regular / idle temp is at 40~42C down about 3~4C!

Back