• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need serious pre-sales advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornetet

Registered
I need some serious pre-sales support / advise......

I'm looking to buy the following setup. I will want to overclock but have a stable system to do some Digital Video Editing:

> Intel P4 / 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB cache Hyper Threading
> ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe 800MHz FSB, 4x DIMM Dual Channel DDR400/33/266
> thinking about buying Kingston PC3200 DDR400 Value RAM

....is this a good combo? Can I do some good stable overclocking? Is the memory OKAY? Do you reccomend another brand?

Any help greatly appreciated! Jim

I'd go with a 2.4c ... cheaper and you'll have more leverage over FSB ... but it's up to you, 3.0c is good too.

As for RAM, Kingston is good for overclocking (usually), but the timings are nothing great. I would suggest Mushkin Level 2. They claim to have cass 2-2-2, and of course the lifetime warranty backing that up. :)

Also, depending on your budget, you might want to look at PC-3500.

I would say save some money on the processor and get better ram...that kingston value ram would hurt your performance a lot...

It seems that many P4C800-e's have really bad voltage regulation, which does not bode well for overclocking. Mine undervolts from 1.675v to 1.55v under 100% load, which is pretty crappy. It's a great board otherwise, but this problem does not make it such a great choice for overclocking. Mushkin is great RAM...its worth going after if you're willing to spend a couple of more bucks. I would either get a 2.6c or 2.8c instead of the 3.0c.

Back