• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Ceramique?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Buddha

Well I took off my Zalman in preparation for my replacement Asus board and found that the Ceramique I put on there was really unevenly applied. I used the method of putting my finger in a plastic bag and evening it out over the core (I applied a very thin layer of course). My question is, when I reapply it, should I just put a blob in the middle of the core and let the heatsink squish it and let it settle in evenly? I've heard that this is the way Ceramique should be applied.

well yeah, that works, but when u do, try to put as SMALL of a layer as possible. Less is better, and after u do, rotate the heatsink b4 bolting it on 3 or 4 degrees to the left and right just a bit, so it evens the TIM out. and follow the instructions at the arctic silver site carefully.

remember, after letting it sit, do not move the heatsink around or nudge it, it wil make the ceramique perform worse, i have tested it, it makes about a 2c raise in temps

I read the link and I have another question. Do I really need to rub Ceramique on the base of my Zalman if it is already lapped to a mirror finish? I ran my fingernails across it and I felt no ridges.

Lapping your heatsink base to a mirror finish has no relation to the practice of tinting the heatsink base. Tinting is intended to fill the microscopic peaks and valleys that lapping cannot remove.

Just rub the paste into the base of the heatsink real well where it will contact the CPU, then wipe it all off, and you will be able to see a tint where some residue is left behind. If you can't see it with the blind eye, it would be there under sufficient magnification.

Back