• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

I'm currently running a SF2. The ratings say it runs at a max of 4800RPM but mine runs at 5300RPM. Does this mean that if I get a new fan rated at 2500RPM that my MoBo might run it at a higher level?

What mobo do you have and have you modded it? I know when I did a vdd mod on my nforce2 board (Epox 8RDA+), the fans were spinning faster (or at least their reported rpms) and how now lowered to "normal" speeds after removing the mod.

the grill on the fan might be making the fan run at a higher speed, making it turn faster than it needs to if there werent obstructions in the way of airflow

u should take the grill out

no grill on the fan.

I have an ASUS A7N8X-X with no modifications other than setting it to run the fan at full speed

Why would it depend on temps? I have no heat monitor set up on my fan and I have my MoBo set to run the fan at full speed all the time.

your MB will give it 12volts, and the fan will run at whatever speed it runs at with 12volts applied to it. your mobo isnt going to feed it a voltage higher than 12v unless you have modded it in some way.

Back