• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I am running two 80mm Tornado fans at the front of my case, a smartfan 2 on the side window, two generic fans on the back, two fans on my PSU at max (it is a Thermaltake silent PSU though), a 92 mm fan on my CPU which currently has a Thermalright SLK-800(U) on it (I did not lap it myself) with Ceramique as the thermal greese. I am running the chip at a somewhat high overclock right now...

It is an 1800+, don't exactly remember the stepping but I know it is very good, and the core is a reddish color (also good). This chip, which runs at 1.5 Ghz, is now running at 2 Ghz with a 1.60 voltage through it (for ensured stability). I stopped due to heat woes...

My front fans run around 2,000 RPM or so, I don't have RPM monitoring on there (cord doesn't reach to the motherboard!) so I cannot be sure. CPU fan is at 3515 RPM. Smartfan is at 3308 RPM.

My Diode temp hi for today is 51 C... that is why I stopped going higher on my OC, because I get a redicilusly high temp, too hi I think for this overclock. So I am wondering what issue I have with cooling... can you think of anything I can check, to see where my cooling issue is?

51c is pretty high with that heatsink and cpu. 1.6v is not much voltage. What were your load temps at default speeds/vcore? What are your ambient & case temps?

Sorta skipped the ambient temp testing with this core... yeah, well, it was a while ago and I was happy I got this stepping... :)

ANYWAYS, I could get those temps if they are really important... My ambient temps are right around what my Case reports. Right now, things are a bit cooler (I wonder why... hmmm...)

Diode 37, Case 22, Socket 30

Sorry I forgot to post those. Some more numbers (all from MBM 5)...

(order... current/low/hi/average)

Case 22/18/27/24
Diode 37/35/51/43
Socket 30/28/39/35

Voltages....

Core 0 1.60/1.54/1.66/1.60
(core 0 has the low + 0.01, and the hi -0.01)

Fans.....

CPU Fan 3515/3443/3590/3507
PSU 3443/3308/4017/3742
Smartfan 2 3375/2721/5273/2806
(was fiddling with the SmartFan 2 to figure out what each RPM sensor was going to...)

CPU Speed 2106 Mhz

from 12/2/2003 9:07:23 AM till 12/3/2003 12:52:50 AM, 28074 readouts

Does that help any?

I'd expect a slk800 to do a much better job. Your case temps seem fine. It could be a seating issue. Try remounting the hsf.

It was reseated once before, but the temps did not change... maybe 3 times a charm? I cannot reseat the heatsync for a while though...

I'm using Ceramique as the heatsync compound, and I bought it a few months ago.

Since it's a spring mounting system I believe it takes a bit of patience to get that "perfect" mount. I don't have any experience with the 800-U, only the original swiftech mc462. I also thought of the 92mm fan. Have you tried using a strong 80mm fan to compare? If I haven't mistaken, an 80mm overhangs the heatsink a bit so a 92mm must overhang even more. That combined with the deadspot might decrease performance quite a bit.

I'll keep that in mind. While a 92 mm does push more air, you are right about the dead spot. I'm not sure if I want to make a duct yet...

I dunno if this was the smartest idea however since the tornado fans straighten the air as it is going out, wouldn't that only exagerate the effect of a dead spot as opposed to a normal fan, which has airflow bleeding all over the place?

Back