• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3, AS5, AS Ceramique. Your choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

I have an AMD 2700+ and have an SLK-900A on the way. Which of the the greases would you guys pick for the upgrade?

P.S. Sorry for all of the questions. I'm new to this stuff and I am looking for personal opinion based knowledge with a mix of "It happened to me" thown in. I can look at specs all day long but, that tells me very little about if a product works or not.

Thanks again for all of the input.

That brings up 2 more questions:

1. Which would be better in the long haul?

2. Do you need to clean and replace the grease at time intervals like the oil in your car? How often?

I am kind of skeptical of ceramique beating AS5. I also didn't notice much of a procedure as I skimmed the article.

Which would be better in the long haul?

I would say AS5, because it's the newest.

Do you need to clean and replace the grease at time intervals like the oil in your car? How often?

No. However, some people immediately notice higher than normal temperatures, which can be fixed by re-mounting the heatsink, but once you get it right, there is no need to change it.

Well my mileage was different...I switched from ASIII to Ceraminque with not a bunch of diffrence...No scientific results here...Just changing for III to Ceraminque...I did drop temps over III...But not much...Now when I went to AS 5...I did get an immediate drop versus Ceraminque...Well it sounds like it is time to go from AS 5 to Ceraminque...New box but I have "cycled" the AS 5 many times and am close to the 200hr frame Artic Silver wants to see maximum results...I like the Ceraminque's easy clean up...And the idea that it is non-conductive...Not a problem...I will see what happens and get back with my results going from AS 5 back to Ceraminque...;)

ManOfKnight said:
There was an excellent article a few days ago on the cover page of overclockers.com. It flat out says that Arctic Silver 5 has a definite few degree Celcius temperature change from Arctic Silver 3. It also mentions that no matter how great AS5 is, that Ceramique actually beats it in temperatures.

ARTICLE IS HERE

That article didn't factor in break in time. The fact remains Arctic Silver 5 trounces Ceramique after Arctic Silver 5 Breaks in. Mr.B simply didn't account to factor in the break in time needed. (which can be up to 200 hours)

If you want the best buy Arctic Silver 5, hey send Mr B a PM and I guarantee you he will concur that Arctic Silver 5 is the choice to make. How do I know this? I asked him already. (I suggested he edit the frontpage article to mention about the break in period)

I've been using AS3 for some time now, might just try out AS5 next time I remove my heatsink/buy a new setup.

Perre said:
I've been using AS3 for some time now, might just try out AS5 next time I remove my heatsink/buy a new setup.

Nothing wrong with that, Arctic Silver 3 is a good product. Just AS-5 is a better product.

I'm evaluating Shin Etsu X23 varients, but so far As-5 is the best

X23, G751 and Thermagon T-2500 (the T-2500 is abrasive and doesnt even come close to besting even ceramique. The X23 is decent but AS-5 is better thus far, I sent another tube of X23 out to be proffesionally tested, to compare it on accurate testing equipment to get a second opinion ;)

By the time I finally find a better performing Safe thermal material, Arctic Silver 10 will probably be on sale, thus beating Arctic Silver 5, but I will continue looking :p

Picture_005.jpg

There's a thread on my article in the "Front Page Discussions" topic.

Yes, I fubarred the results, and I'm working on a revision to the article. 200 hours had elapsed, but where I screwed up was not putting the machine thru several thermal cycles, which I've now found to be crucial to AS-5 properly breaking in.

My apologies for any confusion.

I run the FAH project for our Team 32, and hate to shut down any of my Folding rigs for any reason. This missed step it turns out is key, and is most likely what skewed my results.

File it under ID10T errors. :(

I've received a lot of e-mails and PM's on this, and hope to correct the article soon.

One thing I think that can be concluded from my results, however, is that ASC is seems to be better than AS3, and AS-5 is likely quite a bit better.

Once I extract my crainium from my colon, and revise the article with correct testing methods and results, I'll post them here, as well, and the "Front Page Disc." thread.

B.

Mr B said:

Once I extract my crainium from my colon, and revise the article with correct testing methods and results, I'll post them here, as well, and the "Front Page Disc." thread.

B.

I'll send you some Prunes to allow you to have a movement :p

chasingapple said:
LOL, if your results prove AS5 better then Ceramique then I will also run a test to confirm the findings..deal?

I can tell you for a fact 100% positive AS-5 is better than Ceramique. Every review comparing them will concur

Well I am glad I did not go through all that business again...I have gotten an average of 3C better temps on all four of my box's switching from Ceraminque to AS 5...LOL...The first time I used the AS 5 was on my P-4 box and spread it out over the entire processor and what a mess...I have to give props to the guys at Artic Silver for making such detailed instrutions...Sometimes more is not better...:)

Back