• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot NB heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

under load my NB heatsink is around 60c
idle its around 50

is that ok ? I waqs going to watercool it but didnt think it necessary. 60c sounds quite hot and one thing is for sure, the heatsink is too hot to touch for longer than just a few seconds

?

yea thats pretty hot.... how is the airflow in your case? can you stick a fan on it or make some air flow past it?

first see if its just because there is too little airflow, if you can cool it down just with some fans, you wouldn't need to get a new heatsink. if you do want one, there is what dalilman52 said, or the Tiger 1 cooler. and if you want to spend 30 dollars, there is the new swifty or the microcool

jackal2513 said:
under load my NB heatsink is around 60c
idle its around 50

is that ok ? I waqs going to watercool it but didnt think it necessary. 60c sounds quite hot and one thing is for sure, the heatsink is too hot to touch for longer than just a few seconds

?

If you mention what motherboard you have we can help you better find a solution

Cheap and easy solution = zalman passive heatsink and 40mm fan or some better airflow in your case.

60c doesn't sound right. Isn't that like 120+ degrees. Anyway, what is the mobo you are using ? It seems like the temp is why off. At that temp, it probably would melt or something.

bafbrian said:
60c doesn't sound right. Isn't that like 120+ degrees. Anyway, what is the mobo you are using ? It seems like the temp is why off. At that temp, it probably would melt or something.

DOUBTFULL that it would melt or some bs like that but yes that is quite a high temp. My cpu doesnt even run at 60ºC and my NB runs at around 32-34ºC then again i have a kt400 chipset.

chaps,

the board is a 8knxp canterwood.. comes with a fan. Ive disabled the fan and added a zalman heatsink. To be honest before i had a granite bay 8inxp and it was the same sort of heat.... just as hot in fact once the fan was disabled.

the temp probe is fine... all other temps including water are accurately reported so the 60c is accuarte.

Ive decided to get a waterblock for it... i can easily add it in my second loop. May as well be safe than sorry.. it wont be chucking out heat to the case then as well. I dont have a huge amount of airflow as the rig is built for silence.

cheers

As long as its running stable and not limiting your o/c if your trying to o/c that is then its not a worry. Just runs hot due to caseflow or something prolly.

creepy said:

DOUBTFULL that it would melt or some bs like that but yes that is quite a high temp. My cpu doesnt even run at 60ºC and my NB runs at around 32-34ºC then again i have a kt400 chipset.

How do I go about getting temperature readings from a kt400 board?

or download sandra and run the burn thing w/ mointoring on and itll show a graph of your temps

send me an im on aim or something (pballpro2k1) so we arent filling up this dudes thread but yes....i also meant the northbridge....you can easily get the temps in bios,or w/ a prog. as for mbm...dont know dont care...i hate it

Jakal dangerden makes a nice chipset block for the northy. The z chip though restrictive is very effective. I gained 10 mhz fsb on my nforce 2 by adding one.

Back