• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to apply Artic Silver Adhesive compound...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mfjonny

Ok, so I have a zalman NB32J that i'm trying to stick on the southbridge of my Asus A7N8X deluxe board with Artic Silver expoxy.... According to the instructions on Zalman, I'm supose to put compound A on the chipset and compound B on the HS. Just to make sure, is there a better way to apply the compound? I was under the impression that the curing time would allow me to make a MIXTURE and then apply... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i'm going to be using a zalman NB47J on my northbridge. Now, can I just use 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the crap TIM off the chipset, or am I going to need something stronger?

To remove the TIM, you should use alcohol or carb cleaner.

CPU Core:
Use high-purity isopropyl alcohol, acetone or Akasa TIM-Clean and a bit of careful rubbing.
Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other contaminants.
(If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:
Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), mineral spirits or Akasa TIM-Clean.

That's a quote from the AS instructions, but it applies to CPU's NB's or whatever you are cleaning.

If you have used the heatsink with the gummy PCM on it and it has already melted, you should lap the heatsink because that is the only way to remove all of the material from the base. It will still be in the microscopic valleys in the base.

Back