• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've had it with my Asus mobo's overvolting!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDemolisher

Registered
What can I do to make it stop overvolting by 0.05v when the CPU is idle? I have a P4G8X. I set the VCore to 1.600v and it overvolts the blasted thing to 1.650v when the CPU is idle. It also undervolts it to 1.500v when busy (100%). The undervolting I can sort of live with, since it is within the Intel specs, but the overvolting has got to go. I'll mod the board if I have to! What can I do to stop the overvolting?

TheDemolisher

Same thing with my P4PE. Idle it runs at 1.66 and load about 1.55. This is by having it set to 1.60 in BIOS. :shrug:

I'm interested in fixing this as well, so somebody please reply! :)

Just read something that says overvolting when idle is not a problem. And it also minimizes cold boot problems.

:shrug:

At least Intel is coming down some in prices! :D Less worry about killing my CPU now.

......set your screen saver to 3 mins. This way when your not using the pc the screensaver will keep it undervolted.......

Thumper said:
......set your screen saver to 3 mins. This way when your not using the pc the screensaver will keep it undervolted.......

An excellent idea, the problem being though that when I am using my PC and not doing anything "big," such as reading e-mail, browsing, etc..., the screensaver will of course not be active. The CPU will be overvolted, because I will be using some 1-5% CPU. If I do this for a long period of time, I'm killing the thing. It's alsmost like I need to write a service to always keep the CPU busy, but I would rather hear about a hardware mod I can make to fix this.

TheDemolisher

Thwei said:
Just read something that says overvolting when idle is not a problem. And it also minimizes cold boot problems.

:shrug:

This is a load of crap! I had a CPU go SNDS, because I was running it a 1.725 and the overvolting killed it. It was idle most of the time.

TheDemolisher

Grandpa Dan said:
The 1.725 killed it. SNDS is a result of exceeding 1.7v. for extended periods. You said you're running at 1.65, so it shouldn't be a problem.

My point was that high voltages even when the CPU is idle, will kill it!

TheDemolisher

.....there is a mod for that over at Xtreme. I can't remember the name but I'll look for the link........

TheDemolisher said:
What can I do to make it stop overvolting by 0.05v when the CPU is idle? I have a P4G8X. I set the VCore to 1.600v and it overvolts the blasted thing to 1.650v when the CPU is idle. It also undervolts it to 1.500v when busy (100%). The undervolting I can sort of live with, since it is within the Intel specs, but the overvolting has got to go. I'll mod the board if I have to! What can I do to stop the overvolting?

TheDemolisher

Well you could never let your CPU idle.

How about some DC for O/C either SETI or Folding?

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=21

It's good to know that I am not the only one that feels that way. I hated that my old Asus A7N8X mobo would overvolt. It was raising my temps and it was always killing my performance because it keeping my Oc down.

bafbrian said:
It's good to know that I am not the only one that feels that way. I hated that my old Asus A7N8X mobo would overvolt. It was raising my temps and it was always killing my performance because it keeping my Oc down.

........ so the Asus overvolt limited your o/c so you switched to the Abit that overvolts alot more and everything is ok?........

Last edited:
Digging up an old thread here.

Anyone know if a p4 willamette is ok at these voltages? default voltage is set to 1.75 in bios but CPU-Z and AIDA show it as 1.856 and 1.86 respectively.

Back