• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to turn on devices independently?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

05virulosity50

I want to find out what makes the most noise in my system. Can i some how turn on the PSU by it self, cpu fan by itself, and other fans by themselves? What is your recommendation?

Thanks.

A simple solution would be to wire a Molex up to multiple switches and put these in a spare drive bay bezel. The switches would turn the fans on and off. It is not advisable to turn the PSU fan off unless the computer is in standby as the PSU will probably melt.

There are several methods of controlling fans detailed very nicely here

the simplest way, in my opinion, would be to shut your box down, unplug something and reboot, then do the same for a different device and so on...

Unplug the atx connecter from the motherboard. Using a paperclip or wire as a jumper, short the green wire on the psu atx connector to any black wire on the connector. This will turn on the power supply (and psu fan) without turning on the computer itself. You can then plug in and unplug various fans at your leisure. Anything that you wan to test must be plugged into the power supply, not a motherboard header, so you may need some molex adapters. Your computer will not be running, so there will be no worries about your cpu overheating.

Many power supplies do like, no demand...a certain amount of draw on the 12v~and most of the times the other rails as well. Just powering them up with 12v load could potentially lead to damage. I dont want you possibly frying your psu or components attached to it like that.

wildfrogman said:
Many power supplies do like, no demand...a certain amount of draw on the 12v~and most of the times the other rails as well. Just powering them up with 12v load could potentially lead to damage. I dont want you possibly frying your psu or components attached to it like that.

AT PSUs did that. ATX ones don't.

I did the paper clip trick to short out my PSU, and it works, but I think the wire or paper clip you use should be coated with rubber or plastic (or something non-conductive). I'm not sure if it would shock you if you didn't but I would rather be safe. I used one of those paper clips that has colored plastic on the outside, and I just stripped both ends down a bit and held it where there was still plastic.

Radical said:
I did the paper clip trick to short out my PSU, and it works, but I think the wire or paper clip you use should be coated with rubber or plastic (or something non-conductive). I'm not sure if it would shock you if you didn't but I would rather be safe. I used one of those paper clips that has colored plastic on the outside, and I just stripped both ends down a bit and held it where there was still plastic.

As long as you are only working with the green wire and a ground, you definately won't be shocked. If you mess up and insert the jumper into the wrong wire, then I really don't know. You could be extra safe by inserting the jumper into the ground wire first, then if there is enough electricity to cause a shock, it will go into the ground because resistence is lower.

Back