• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans which to get!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

my cpu is runnign at 46 degrees load and around 20 idle.

my case has three fans one on the side and two in the back. all stock fans.

and my cpu has a stock fan on it.

now i'm thinking what should i get if i had only a few choices.

a new fan for the cpu or a new fan to replace the fan in the back?

or a heat sink for the cpu?

this is wher ei get my stuff being a local place and whatnot could you guys have a look at the site and see which is a good buy and will help lower the degrees.

i like to float around 40 or lower during load.

i'm running a 2.60C ghz @ 3.25 ghz
512 MB pc 3200 ram

not much in it fairly empty system airflow is excellent.

oh yeah the site is

www.memoryexpress.com

Memory Express

Thanks so much in advance hope to see some replies soon ! want to run out and buy one today haha

Id go with a new heatsink and fan but are you for sure about your temps.....or do you have an ambient temp of 50ºF or something? 20ºC is 68ºF so etheir somethings not right or your in a room w/ a LOW ambient temp.

i'm positive on my temp i'm it a damn cooler! haha it's cold as hell in my room naturally.

my comp runs stable prime 95 and even playe d few games whiel running it.

i live in a basement with no dry wall only insulation but the plastic doens't help much on keep my room warm. and mit's winter time in calgary alberta canada! lol

i jsut wanna get the rest now because when summer comes i fear for my rig.

can u check the site i gave and tell me which is good.

almotst all the cooling supplies they have are close to my price range.

well, that site is confusing...

Order online..there are many reliable sites..

Buy a new heatsink from ThermalRight, you can not go wrong with them, but dont get the m confused with ThermalTECH..they're not so good..

and LAP it, and then put a SHROUD on it..and shove a nice 80mm fan on that..

make sure that the three fans on the side are blowing in, and the two on the back is blowing out.

Then you'll be good :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS: Heres a link to a place in Canada.
They have the model I recommend for your rig.I dont know if this place is in your area or not.But this is the HS that will cool your CPU.If you get it I recommend some A.S. T.I.M.(thermal interface material).Check it out and let us know what you think.:D
THE FANMAN:cool:

HEATSINK LINK

definately a new heatsink. go with any of the SLKs (800 or above) and pair it with a decent 80-92mm fan (i belive the slk800 can only support 80mm fans) and arctic silver 3, 5, or ceramique and youll most likely dip below 40c.

also which fan should i get if i get a heat sink and 80mm fan will my stock one do?

i've never installed a heatsink either is it pretty straight forward?

like i learn quick just never touched one before haha

Vince,
Check out the site that archilochus (AKA FANMAN) posted above.
The ThermalRight SP94 is one of the very best P4 coolers out there. Vantec 92mm THERMOFLOW Should work very well with that.
Going with the site that you linked to above I'd suggest the ThermalRight SK900U w/ the Thermalflow fan.
I've got a ThermalRight SK7 & 50CFM fan on my wife's 1600+ Pally & her temps NEVER go over 40°C.
Good Luck!
-Dave

that's great how big would the difference be between the thermalright sp94 and the thermalright sk900U.

Vince,
According to this, the SP94 & SK800U are very close in performance. The SK900U shouldn't be much different as it is very similar to the SK800U. Just remember that some of the high CFM 80mm fans can be quite noisy! (was the Vantec Tornado really designed by Pratt & Whitney? :D). You might want to look at the 92mm fans- less noise for a given CFM rating.
-Dave

baltoos or anyone can you also help me on which is better for the thermal compound? the 3, 5, ceramique?

i've heard the ceramique is one of the best choices.

ok cool i ended up ordering the good stuff the vantec you recommended and the sp94 that fan man recommended.

now i'm deciding on the thermal grease! there is so much debate between ceramique and silver 5.

can youu show em a guide with pictures if possibkle hwot o apply grease and mount the heatsink and fan?

thanks

yup sorry bout that baltoos i've read it going for it now!

got any guides to mount a heatsink or is it self explanatory?

ok i read his post and immediately ordered the silver 5 with it is 3.5 grams suffiecient?

the core is pretty small

Back