• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

converting db(c) to db(a)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
(a) and (c) are different weightings. dB(a) measurements are mot as sensitive to low frequencies as the dB(c) measurements. There is no way I know of to apply a correction factor.

Here are the actual curves:
http://www.admnetworks.com/images/AWN4.pdf

Nevin

squeakygeek said:

This link is irrelevant to my question and heavily biased.
The link might be irrelevant, but heavily biased??

Personally I think it's a great link, thanks archilochus or FANMAN or whichever your next nick is:p

squeakygeek may I ask what you're trying to do?

I mean, eventho you might have the most expensive db meter, it all depends on how others used theirs, lets take a look at the articles written by Joe, he measures sound at distance X, but Johnny measures sound at distance Y...who should I believe?

Audiophiles like to measure sound at 1m/1W in a "dead" room (meaning there's NO..or VERY little reflection of the sound/noise).

We both know that Joe or Johnny didn't build a room just to measure fan noise, hell Joe or Johnny might have changed his room...thus changed the noise level.

I hope you get my point.

KILLorBE said:

The link might be irrelevant, but heavily biased??

Personally I think it's a great link, thanks archilochus or FANMAN or whichever your next nick is:p

squeakygeek may I ask what you're trying to do?

I mean, eventho you might have the most expensive db meter, it all depends on how others used theirs, lets take a look at the articles written by Joe, he measures sound at distance X, but Johnny measures sound at distance Y...who should I believe?

Audiophiles like to measure sound at 1m/1W in a "dead" room (meaning there's NO..or VERY little reflection of the sound/noise).

We both know that Joe or Johnny didn't build a room just to measure fan noise, hell Joe or Johnny might have changed his room...thus changed the noise level.

I hope you get my point.

What I'm trying to do is measure sound, like my fans and water pump and such. I thought I made that apparent. I'm sorry, I don't get your point.

squeakygeek said:
What I'm trying to do is measure sound, like my fans and water pump and such. I thought I made that apparent. I'm sorry, I don't get your point.

I understood that you wanted to measure the noise of your fans, pump and such.

But because you said "I want to use db(a) because that is what most noise specs are reported in" I thought you wanted to compare the sound of your system (or fans/pump...) to other systems (or fans/pump...).

Just use the most sensitive setting if you're only going to use it to compare changes you made to your own system.

Hope you catch my drift now.

Back