• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well no more need for T.I.M. (picts)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Oooo pretty, put it this way I saw pict of a Alpha and a p4 just like the ones on the bottom and so I just had to do it :p it is with 2000grit wet/dry paper it took about one and a half hours to do it but no more need for that messy compound :cool:

Mirror_lap.jpg

If you look above the processor you can see the cam lense, And that is the processor stuck to the heatsink becuase both are lapped so smooth.
Small_lap.jpg

Careful even if they ring together, they may not stay that way. The IHS is real thin and could distort when heated so take caution and keep an eye on your temps.
PS let us know how it works out to. I have thought about this a few times myself (gage block got me think)

I have the bolted to the motherboard style for my heatsink so there is enough pressure to keep it inline, plus I only took enough off to reach the copper layer.

Use compound, it might LOOK flat to you but there are microscopic valleys in there that will hold air. That is the point of the thermal compound. Use very little though per arctic silvers website.

Cheers.

P.S. NICE LAP JOB!

Yeah, nice job.
Did you lap the CPU aswell? I was thinkin of doing it, but don't know how to do it.
Just lapped my SLK-900, but i'm guessin holding a CPU whilst lapping is very difficult, let alone risky...

FYI:
When you "ring" two metal parts together (non-magnetic) and they hold together tight, both surfaces are actually bonding at the atomic level. Even the best finish is ruff at the atomic level and when you ring them together they bond somewhat like Velcro dose. So a TIM would only get in the way. Ask a tool maker (if you can) to see to gage blocks and have him ring them, you will see that they can be placed on top of one another and not stick but to have them stick they need to be rubbed together (cleans the surface)

Last edited:
voodoomelon said:
Yeah, nice job.
Did you lap the CPU aswell? I was thinkin of doing it, but don't know how to do it.
Just lapped my SLK-900, but i'm guessin holding a CPU whilst lapping is very difficult, let alone risky...

Ya but the pict did not turn out right :( but it looks the same as the heatsink

wow, what an idea, guess i better get to work lapping my AMD XP................. on second thought, mabee not.

schismspeak said:
What are your temps?? Before and after if possible.:D

I know the readings are off for this thing, one says 96c the other is like -45c and the third is 0c so really to tell you the truth I have no idea :p

Stedeman said:
FYI:
When you "ring" two metal parts together (non-magnetic) and they hold together tight, both surfaces are actually bonding at the atomic level. Even the best finish is ruff at the atomic level and when you ring them together they bond somewhat like Velcro dose. So a TIM would only get in the way. Ask a tool maker (if you can) to see to gage blocks and have him ring them, you will see that they can be placed on top of one another and not stick but to have them stick they need to be rubbed together (cleans the surface)

Tool makers do not have a need to account for thermal conductivity, and you still need a small amount of thermal goop regardless. This is a well known, No matter how flat they are they need a TIM. There is no exceptions, 'ring' or not.

PS Heluva lapping job btw ;)

Back