• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing my Zalman

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucardCasull

I have to explain how the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu is attached to the mother board. It comes with a decently think steel back plate, with 2 holes, one on top and bottom, and has a thick piece of cardboard on the top. This connects to the mother board via 2 goldish bolts, with screw holes on top. The HS crossbar sits on top of those bolts, and screws in there.

Heatsink http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000a-cu.htm

thats how that is done.

Now the dilema, first of all, the Zalman is already over 300g heavier than what the cpu is suggested to use. (Hardocp suggested this HS) Second, when i placed the HS on the cpu, there was a good 2cm between the crossbar and the bolts to which they attach. I can tighten those down, but would that be to much pressure for the cpu? Thank you for any help.

(Sig isnt working)
Athlon Amd 64 2.0 Ghz
2x 120gig Western Digital Sata HD's
Chaintech ZNF3-150 Zenith
Asus 9800xt
Liteon CD Burner
Liteon DVD Player

Last edited:
Aluc, can we get some rig spec in your sig,please.It would be most helpful.See sig of rig below. :D Also a link to your HS.
Thanks, THE FANMAN:cool:

Thanks. I have to assume you have the 754 socket,by looking at the HS,s. in the link.I watched the install movie for said HS.It would appear that if you tighten the screws each a little at a time to get a even clamp pressure ,it should be fine.If it where any looser you wouldn't get the desired clamp pressure.Slow and easy on the screws. Let me know how it turns out.THE FANMAN:cool:

PS:When I say looser I mean ,If there was no gap at all,between the Stand off and the HS mounting bracket !

Last edited:
On that video though, when the heatsink is placed on the cpu, the holding bar is already touching the little bolts, its not like that for me, there is a good chunk of space in between, so theres going to be alot of pressure in there. Is that ok?

Did you notice in the movie that the legs on the HS were at a angle until all the way tight? I'm not a AMD man but, you need some pressure to get the contact desired.If the bracket were already flat against the stand offs you couldn't get the clamp pressure! THE FANMAN:cool:

That sounds about right as far as the gap size. My p4 has about a larger gap than you say you have, so it should be ok. Also your A64 has a heatspreader, so you dont have to worry about too much force, cuz the heatspreader will also disperse the load. If you are concerned about too much force, you can take the fan bracket apart and bend the bar so it isnt so far away from the board brackets. Well I hope that helps.

Back