• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-Max or Asus P4C800-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornetet

Registered
I'm at the point of making a BUYING decision and need everyone's final opinion.

Please give me your OPINION on what mobo to buy.....and WHY

Abit IC7-Max
-or-
Asus P4C800-E

Processor will be Intel P4 3.0C GHz
Memory will be Mushkin DDR400

Just got my Ic7 max 3 and so far love it. I dont like where the temperature sensor is set at because it shows my temp higher than i was used to. I can live with it seeing how its only 5 degree's difference and can make my adjustments from there. I am not sure how the voltages will play out not sure if they have fixed the bug with the dimm voltages or not. I have always been an asus fan but abit is just as good. I feel its more personal preference than anything.

i bought a abit ic7 max 3 and the cpu burned a hole in my mobo with a mcx4000 at stock speads
im not sure if that has been a issue with anybody else but thats something to think about

ive never heard that one, most people like the ic7 max, i got for a frriend the ic7-g

Never heard of that either. My max3 is a mixed bag. It seems to have good OC potential but I am currently limited by cooling. Go to specific posts regarding the two boards for more info. Also there is a lot of feed back from other forums on the web. Just google it.

from what ive read, the abit has a good chance of having a problem with adjusting the vdimm. Both boards will get you about the same oc, so go i'd go with asus because of abit's known problems.

about the vdimm problems i have read on other forums that there is a 1.1 version of the board coming out that has fixed this. I Also read that its only if you using a large amount of ram ie 512 x2 second bit could be wrong tho :)

[BBE]Jimbob said:
about the vdimm problems i have read on other forums that there is a 1.1 version of the board coming out that has fixed this. I Also read that its only if you using a large amount of ram ie 512 x2 second bit could be wrong tho :)

It does not look like this will happen. Abit is saying that the vtt issue is not their problem. :rolleyes: They have somewhat resolved the vdimm issue by removing a cap from the board. Somewhere along the line they put in an engineering change to remove the cap, but did not do a board revision so that you can tell if you have a fixed board or not. They will accept a RMA if you want them to try and fix it.

This issue is being discussed at length on the ABIT forums in the following thread:
Vdimm Issue Update

The AI7 is looking pretty good as far as vcore, vdimm and vtt. Looks like it OC very well... just doesnt have all the bells and whistles that the IC7 MAX3 has. Too bad they dont make a AI7 MAX 3:mad:

I have held off buying the parts for my new system as long as I can waiting for Abit to get control of this now it looks like I will be ordering a P4C800-E delux and doing the vdimm mod. 1st non ABIT board I will have owned. :mad:

Back