• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help overclocking 2.6C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTI

Hi, I can't seem to get it past 3Ghz. I've played around with a lot of the settings such as voltages, timings, etc. and XP seems to freeze after a few minutes of full load. I see a lot of people getting pretty high FSB's. Any ideas what it could be? I am thinking crap cooling or crap memory.

CPU = Intel P4 2.6C (Stock Cooling)
M/B = Asus P4P800 Deluxe
MEM = PC3200 Kingston KVR400X64C3 512 * 2
CASE = Atec SLK 2600

FSB = 229 = 2978 Mhz
Vcore = Auto = 1.552v
Dram Freq = 320 (5:4) = 183.3 Mhz
DDR Voltage = Auto
AGP/PCI= 66/33
AGP Voltage 1.5
CASS = By SPD (3,4,4,8)
Performance Mode = Standard
MAM = Auto

CPU at 50c under load (distributed.net)

This is your problem:

PC3200 Kingston KVR400X64C3 512 * 2

@ 229-230 FSB you're already hitting the ram's limit. It's kingston Value ram, don't expect too much from it. Be happy you got that far with it.

I don't know Kingstons value ram, but I was using Corsair ValueSelect (I would think this is the equivalent) for a long time and I could still get it over 250mhz. Did you update to the latest bios?
I'm not sure if you have already done what I am about to suggest, but if you haven't its worth a shot.
Here's what I would try AFTER updating to the latest bios if you haven't (there are some new options in it).

In "performance mode" switch from "standard" to "manual".
Switch CPU vcore to 1.6v
Switch DDR voltage to 2.6v
Keep DDR at 320mhz, and the agp/pci bus locked at 66/33.
Keep agp at 1.5v
Disable MAM - I have found that this can screw up an oc. I don't know much about ram timing configurations, but I left mine by SPD. I did all of the above and hit fsb 263 mhz stable. I'm running on the same mobo and processor as you, but I'm using 1 stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 512mb. I was using ValueSelect, the XMS increased my fsb from fsb 258mhz to 263mhz.
The very last thing that I can think of is that I remember someone writing that they could oc higher with only one stick of ram as opposed to two. I'm not sure if this is true, maybe someone could tell us if that would matter?
Goodluck!
One last note, if you are going to run it oc'ed I'd really suggest getting a new cpu fan/hs.

Ok thanks. I opened the case and got it down 5 degrees and I can get a little bit higher so I probably need better cooling. And I guess it's probably the RAM holding me back but I have ratio of 5:4 set and CPUZ says it's running at 184 Mhz.

FSB = 229 = 2978 Mhz
Vcore = Auto = 1.552v
Dram Freq = 320 (5:4) = 183.3 Mhz <===YOUR RAM IS FINE
DDR Voltage = Auto
AGP/PCI= 66/33
AGP Voltage 1.5<===RAISE TO 1.6V, PutS voltage through the N/B
CASS = By SPD (3,4,4,8)
Performance Mode = Standard
MAM = Auto

........FIND OUT THE DEFAULT SETTINGS FOR YOUR RAM, then set it up manually in the bios. Same goes for ram voltage.......

Back