• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning a window a/c unit into a chiller (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrnuke

Hey, i ususally hang arround xtreme fourms, and i thought i'd share some of my info with you guys over on this fourm.

First of all, i got a 5250btu window a/c off ebay for $31. It is a kenmore and has a LG 3/4 hp compressor.

Here is the top view of the unit.
ac 1.jpg

Here is the side view of the compressor
ac 3.jpg

And here is how the evap lays out. Forget the ones in blue, i was asking a question to one of the members. It sits diagonally like the red line to get max efficency by having the liquid go past though it.
acevap.jpg

This is my danner mag 5
pump.jpg

I am not quite done with it, but i will be sure to take and post more pictures of it. I have heard it should get as low as -40c so i will have to use denatured alcahol or winter grade anti-freeze. Any questions or suggestions would be appreciated.

wow! $31 bucks, nice deal. that looks like i'll work well, only i would consider a slightly bigger RES for that evaporator to cool. post pics when you're done!

Very cool! Keep us updated, that's a great quasi-first post ^_^.

I use a mix of antifreeze/water in my chilled system. That's the main thing I'm working on improving: finding the perfect mix of coolant. The water freezes up pretty fast otherwise =/. I'd stick with a simple solution to start, that way your later experiments have a solid base to make comparisons to. Like... if you used 50%water with 50%Antifreeze... upping the AF to 75% is an easy comparison... In other words, keep with simple numbers for the first tests.

yeah, i just think its going to get so cold that it will freeze solid. btw, i have to drill holes for the water to be sucked out of and brought back in. I actually think that res is perfect. there is enough room in there for a decent ammount, and it will always stay cold. I will work on it more this weekend, but not too sure what all i'll get done. looking to find a female barb for the top of the danner mag, and an extention into a 1/2" barb on the outlet.

Back