• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 Volt mod...... a couple of questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ttfrog

I have some a gig of bH5 chips that are dying to be overclocked further, but with my IS7 only going up to 2.8 vdimm, they aren't reaching anywhere near their full potential. Kind of sad really. I want to know what the risk involved with this vmod is, and just about how much more performance i can expect from 3.2 vdimm compared to 2.8 ... (rough estimates are fine) keep in mind that i have 2x 512 mb sticks. My biggest worry is that I will fry my is7... :(, and because of that I'm thinking I might just splurge a bit and buy myself an AI7, since I've heard very good things about the board.

It is really hard to tell... I've done the mod to a IC7 board, and it is a little tricky...
My guess is maybe 10MHz more out of the memory.

Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do I need the extra memory MHz?
2. Is it worth the risk of destroying the board?
3. Do I have the right equipment?
4. Am I ready to add an extra fan to cool the RAM?
5. Can I sell my IS7 for decent money and buy an AI7?

Before the AI7, there wasn't any option but to vmod a board to get 3+ vdimm... I wouldn't do it today...

Back