• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got heat issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waynebike

Ok heres my problem, i just purchased a AMD 2700+ and it is running stock @ 2.16ghz and FSB333, thats 13x166

now my problem is that i have crazy heat issues, i have a Coolermaster Areo7+ (all copper) and its idling at 45 degrees!!

i am almost positive that i put the right amount of thermal paste on, im using OCZ Thermal Compound. i put just a very thin layer on the CPU die, using my finger inside a sandwhich bag. and i smeered another thin layer on the middle of the base of the HSF.

and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Its using NForce2 Pro 400, all latest drivers and firmware. I know ram is not an issue at all because its low-latency PC-3200 and its running at PC2700 speeds.

any ideas you have would be wonderful, im looking to overclock but i want to find out wtf im doing wrong here first and then read up on exactly what to do via the forums and the website.

btw i have 512mb of PC2100 lying around and my board is dualDDR, do you think that i would get better performance if i ran at 133mhz bus and used the dual ddr?

What are your case temps like? Could be that you need more air flow through your case.

Maybe you put too much thermal paste on. I only rub a little on the heat sink, not a layer. I only put a thin layer on the core.

Try getting more airflow in your case, and 7keys was right, make sure you only have a film of paste on your CPU. And from the reviews I've seen the Aero 7+ doesn't seem to perform that well so you shouldn't expect too much.

ok well i just redid all of the wires in my case and now the temp inside the case is only 30C, so thats fine. but the cpu is still idiling pretty high, 44 now that i redid the thermal paste with only a thin film

i was reading through the artic silver install page and in there they said that it will run anywhere from 2-8C hotter untill the paste settles in, do you think thats why i am having issues?

waynebike said:
i was reading through the artic silver install page and in there they said that it will run anywhere from 2-8C hotter untill the paste settles in, do you think thats why i am having issues?

Possibly, you might want to burn-in your CPU for a day and see if that helps at all.

waynebike said:

btw i have 512mb of PC2100 lying around and my board is dualDDR, do you think that i would get better performance if i ran at 133mhz bus and used the dual ddr?

You want to run your good PC3200 RAM at PC2700 speeds? :\ If anything, you should run your PC3200 at full speed. If you're worried about heat, drop the multiplier on your CPU to lower your MHz. A high FSB is more important than lots of MHz.

That's the normal temps for 7N400 boards m8....guys in Gigabyte seas that the board pick temp from CPU die and that's why it higher than normal,but they ashured that it should be fine up to 80C ( 90c is a limit of that CPU but...)...mine 2500+ Barton@2137Mhz 1.72V is idling @55C full load up to 68C no problems what so ever.
Another thing...I'm not sure about pro but mine (7N400-L) is overvolting the cpu by default(1.72V ) so that could increase the temps also....
U'll know when u'r temp is high m8,don't worry 'bout it...as long as it doesn't crash u're good to go....

Cheers.....

Re: Re: I got heat issues...

CamH said:

You want to run your good PC3200 RAM at PC2700 speeds? :\ If anything, you should run your PC3200 at full speed. If you're worried about heat, drop the multiplier on your CPU to lower your MHz. A high FSB is more important than lots of MHz.

actually, he should run the ram at 2100 sync, which give MUCH better bandwith than running the ram at DDR400 asynch... If you are going to keep your fsb at 133, by all means run DCDDR at DDR266, as that will give you the best memory bandwith.

Also, your temps are fine... Stability is much more important than some ramdom temp reading from unreliable mobo sensors... If you are experiencing no stability issues (which you really shouldn't at stock), then don't worry about the temp... Temps are relative to upping voltage and pushing FSB...

As for the advice about dropping multi on a stock setup, well that's not really good advice. MHZ DOES matter. Dropping multis is done to maximize FSB when oc'ing, but doing it to drop temps on a stock system is just plain silly.

Ok, no one ever mentions this so I will, are your temps measured by a socket diode or from the internal CPU diode? If they are the internal CPU diode then your temps are the bomb :)

*edit* MrBoss mentioned it :)

awsome thanks alot guys. so i guess im lookin pretty good then, and im just gonna keep running with my extra 512 PC2100 in dual ddr mode along with my 512 PC3200 running at 266mhz bus.

@MrBoss im using XP 2700 @ 2171.59mHz and its idling at 43C.

how sure are you that the tempatures are being picked up from the CPU die? cuz i couldnt find any info anywehre i looked to verify that this is true.

Back