• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 3700 Gold revision 2....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hepp

Seems yet another RAM manufacturer have listened to our pleas for higher latency memory:rolleyes:

OCZ has issued a press release, introducing OCZ 3700 Gold Revision 2.

Didn't the old ones have a spec of 2-3-3-7?
Actually the old spec is still there (at time of writing).

I love their retro advertising as well.
Just above this press release there is a claim that:
The OCZ PC-2700 Rev 3.2 DDR memory DIMM is the best performing memory for DDR capable systems.
Great, so why do they think we will buy their new PC3700 or PC4200?

br
hepp

they may mean best as being able to handle both tight low fsb speed timings as well as higher fsb speed with moderately fast mem timings - something which not many memory sticks regardless of brand can do at decent vdimm voltages supported by the majority of board manufacturers

Sean might want to correct me, but are these the latest (or simply hand-picked) Hynix BT-D43 chips given OCZ's chip-manicure treatment. Or do they use some other chips?

I will find out which chips we are using and talk to you in PM, Speed.

These modules are actually quite nice, as they will do the CL 2.5-3-3-7 @ 466 MHZ, as well as doing DDR500 at 3-3-3-8.

:cool:

Thats actually terrible

on abxzone there are some who can do ddr500 at cas 2 on the old famous 3700 sticks

this is a big difference from the cas 3 you just said.

Why can't you just make the old sticks?

For a number of reasons. Mostly due to the fact that the IC industry is tumultuous and constantly changing. I am sure you will find that CL 2.5-3-3-7 timings are comparable or better than the timings offered by most PC-3700 memory on the market today. These modules are also quite decent @ PC-3200 speeds, and will indeed do CL 2 timings at 400 MHZ.

Also, not very many PC3700/PC4000 modules, if any, offer CL 2.5-3-3-7 timings, most only offer CL 3-4-4-8 or CL 2.5-4-4-8, in the case of our EL 4200. Benchmarks for the new 3700 Gold will start showing up soon, so be on the lookout for those, because if our in-house testing proves to be any indication, these new modules are awesome!

If we could still make a PC-3700 CL 2 part with any consistency we would. As it stands, we could probably make the modules, but only in limited quantities. When we release a product, we want it to be available to anybody interested, not just a select few people who catch the headlines or PR quickly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the original 3700 Gold's (the wonder ram) were made with Samsung IC's which are no longer available. This is the main reason Rev 2 is out. But I think Sean eluded to this when he stated they could make them, but in extremely limited quantity.

We are no longer using the Samsung ICs that were used for the 3700 Gold Rev 1 stuff. I am not at liberty to disclose which ICs we are using with this product, however.

Pretty much what I expected you'd say.

I actually think it was decent of OCZ to publish the fact that the spec had changed. Serveral other manufacturers have been very quite about the fact that the chips have changed inside the modules. It can be very confusing.

br
hepp

Last edited:
Guys cas latency makes almost no difference in memory performance anyways when paired with intel rigs. So if the PC3700 was 3-3-3-6 it wouldn't be much slower than 2-3-3-6

Steve

mrspec3 said:
Guys cas latency makes almost no difference in memory performance anyways when paired with intel rigs. So if the PC3700 was 3-3-3-6 it wouldn't be much slower than 2-3-3-6

Steve

Huh?! Ok, I am new to OCing, but this goes against everything I have heard.
Can you please explain why CAS isn't that important with the Intels?

I don't know why it happens but from my own benchmarks and those of others I've seen that cas latency makes far less of an impact than RCD, RPD and tras timings.

Steve

Wow! Great link Kiltz. Thanks.
I was very confused about which memory I should get and rather timings were more important than the FSB:MEM ratio etc...
This article made it pretty clear.

Now I feel confident in going with the PC4000.

Back