• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a Intel Noob.. Best Intel Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Intel market, didn't have one since my old P2.
Now I'm moving back.
I need to decide on a good motherboard, ofcourse Overclocking is a main feature that I want from the new board, so as S-ata and other stuff.

My goals are to get my 2.6c to do 3900MHz = 300x13.
I need the best Motherboard on the market.

Suma.

2.6C's are bad overclockers, and are still only available with the D1 core.

If you want 3.9 then your best bet would be to get a 2.8C stepping SL6Z5, "MO" core.

You could use a 2.4C SL6Z3, but you would have to run a FSB of 325 in order to get 3.9 GHz which is unlikely. Or you can run 300 FSB with a speed of 3600.

I want FSB, 300+ is great.
Do you know where can I get that 2.4c you mentioned?
Suma.

Ok, Cool.
I'll check all the local shops for that stepping if I can't get this one localy I'll get it from azzo.com

Suma.

a lot of people have been getting lucky at zipzoomfly.com as well... youd be taking a gamble that way but itd save you $40 ;)

I'm also trying planning a new Intel system and having the same question as you Suma. I think I'll go with the AI7 at www.zipzoomfly.com for only $99. I don't know if this is true or not, but a lot of people has been saying the AI7 is a better overclocked board with higher voltage. I just like it because it's cheap and has features that I want. Hope this help.

The Asus P4P800 Deluxe is only $124.99 until tomorrow afternoon on www.newegg.com. The non-deluxe version is good too but I want firewires. You'll save about $20 with the n.d.

There are rumors about the Abit having troubles with some memories. So I'll probably go with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

Hmm, I plan on building an Intel system right after Christmas and I'm looking at getting the Epox 4PCA3+ The previous versions were not popular due to low vcore voltage.

However, there is a revision 2.0 out that has vcore up to 1.85, vdimm up to 3.3, and vagp (northbridge really) up to 1.8. The options on this board look fantastic. SATA Raid, integrated Highpoint 374 Raid (this board has 6 IDE connectors, gigabit lan, 6 channel sound, Canterwood. There is also a similar board called the 4PDA2+ which is the Springdale.

If you want an overclocking board, Epox is definately worth the look, just make sure you get a revision 2.0. I will be.

As for SL6Z3...I know of a local shop that has 2 of them for 179.99 each....needless to say I might just pop on down there tomorrow with my Christmas Bonus ;)

Sneakytermite said:
Papa_Legba, what local shop were you referring to the SL6Z3? Link? Thanks.

It is a local shop here in Michigan. It does not have web prescence, only a storefront. Sorry :(

Normally I have to read about people nabbing awesome CPU's down at their local Fry's and I just grit my teeth. We don't have huge places around where I live...little small mom and pop stores is about the best you'll do... As far as I know..maybe I'm not going to the right places!

I'm sure a lot of people are jealous of your situation Papa_Legba. Being able to just grab a SL6Z3 like that is so nice. Keep us posted with your new system man. Good luck!

Back