• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need better cooling for my 3.0 Max3 rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koolaid

Howdy

I need to get a HSF and a new HS for my Max3 board.

Right now Sandra tells me my CPU temp is at 50c IDLE. This is a [email protected] which is strange since the idle temp seems high. I have good case air circulation with 2 intake/2 exhaust fans, and one side fan in the plexi.

Are there any HSF or HS that might not fit because of the OTES?

What do you guys recommend? I was looking at Thermalright's SP-94, or 947-U with a volcano fan.

TIA

Do I need to take the MB out to get this HS in?

I really don't mind the noise since I am usually playing some 3d game that drowns it out anyways.

Yea, you'll have to take out the M/B and remove the Intel retainer, in order for the SP-94 to fit. Not too much ao a hassle though (compared to the added cooling ;-))

Using air cooling, your very best bet is the Thermalright's SP-94 according to what I have read. If you aren't inclined to remove your mbd, you can mount some hsf combos like the TT P4 Spark 7 using the Intel retainer already in your mbd, for considerably better cooling than the stock hsf.

I built my PC, so I am inclined, just not motivated ;)

I've read that Abit EQ temps read anywhere from 5-10 degrees celcius too high. My PC is running at 48 degrees C at a slight load as we speak. Is this ok?

If you're reading that off of Abit EQ then you're probably fine. Mine shows about 10C above what my cpu probe states. Another thing you could try is a 947u. Almost as good as the SP-94 and it has clips for the intel retainer. I wouldn't recommed moving your computer without removing it first though.

I went ahead and did some more reasearch, and ordered the SP-94, Artic Silver 5, and a 92mm Sanyo Denki.

Here are the specs on the fan I ordered:

Part Number....................... 109P0912F4011
Manufacturer...................... Sanyo Denki Co., Ltd., Japan
Size, In...........................3.625" X 3.625" X 1.0
Size, mm...................... 92mm x 92mm x 25mm
Voltage............................... 12 volts DC
Current................................ 0.14
Watts................................... 1.68
RPM .................................... 2450
Flow CFM (Max)................... 44.0
Noise (dBA)......................... .30
Bearing Type...............Dual Ball Bearing
Material-Venturi.................. UL94V-0 Plastic
Material-Propeller............... UL94V-0 Plastic
Power Leads....................... 3- 22AWG
Termination ............ 2 or 3, 12", BARE Leadwires
Life Expectancy-MTBF......... 60,000 Hours

I went with a 3 pin mobo style connector since this fan comes with bare wires.

I'll do a comparison as soon as it all arrives.

sirius is right about the 80 mm , it cools better than a 92 . I HAD a 92 on my 2.4b @ 3151 at 42c full load , I put the 80 mm on and dropped 8-10c , in just changing the fan , check it out for yourself , I didnt believe it either til I tried it .
I took the 92 off my SLK900u and replaced with an 80 and temps were 5c cooler with it on my 1700 @ 2222 , so thats AMD and Intel , both with decent overclocks both did better with an 80mm.

just my 2¢

Well, I'll give this fan a whirl when it gets here. If it doesn't get the processor temp. down substantially, I will consider the 80mm. The 92mm Sanyo Denki I ordered pushes 44cfm and registers at 30dba. That's pretty good from the research I have done.

Thanks for the tip. :)

oh those 92's were Panaflo high output 57 cfm@38dba ,Linky ,
I dont have the links on the 80's I am using , I just had some laying around so they are no namers , we got NO names we are Nameless , hey, can I score a fry?

For 8db more, the fan you speak about sounds cool. The fan I got sounds much louder over the net versus plugged into my mobo.

Yuck, hardcopy.

Back