• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CH-5 Performance? and HyperX PC3000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

I v'e been looking around at buying some memory lately and it seems a WHOLE lot easier to buy CH-5 chips than BH-5 (they are cheaper too). I read a review of some TwinMOS sticks (@ vr-zone.com) with the CH-5 chips and they could run them at 244FSB with 5-2-3-2 timings with 2.9v. And what I've seen is that USUALLY the FSB gain that you get by raising the timings cancels out the loss of efficency UNTIL you get to REALLY loose timings (11-4-4-3).
Also since I am running an AMD system I don't have to worry as much about the incompatibility issues. So my question is what types of speeds have you been getting with CH-5 (also timings, volage, chipset, cooling, etc.). It would also help if you could compare it to a BH-5 experience.

Also would the HyperX PC3000 overclock less than HyperX PC3200 (both with BH-5 chips)?

Here is the Review
http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/TwinMOS/PC3700-3200/page4.htm

Last edited:
hyperx pc3700 haven't bh5, but hynix d43, and clocks very bad and with very slow timings..
pc3000 if certified 2-2-2-6 uses bh5
i have a stick of hyperx pc3500 with ch5 and one with kingston 4.5ns (seems to be bh5)
so CH5 can do 250mhz 3.15v 2-2-2-5, the other stick can do the same but ch5 can do this overclock on all 3 slot of NF7-S, the other only in the second slot, because in the first slot need 3.22v and in the third can't go over 240 3.2v not completelly stable...

so CH5 seems better on nforce, but only if you get very lucky ch5..

yeah, ch-5 is NOT a bad chip to have for an amd rig. in reality the p4c guys with the bus speeds they are hitting and attaining should be bh-5 crazy.

and, in reality, running 2-3-2-7 vs 2-2-2-6 does not hurt any of my ram benchs at all. i'm sure some will say "well your games will load faster" but that is bs because we are talking about something that you will not notice when you go to play a game... unless you're sitting there with a stopwatch.

if you happen to get some ch-5 it's not the end of the world... i even got caught up in this frantic bh-5 craze, and i only run amd rigs :rolleyes: .

<edit>Nevermind this statement because it has been answered a few posts above </edit><ignore>So you would say that if I got some Buffalo or TwinMOS CH-5 I would still be able to get about 225FSB with 11-2-3-2 or 2.5 with 2.9-3.0v.</ignore>

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW I changed my first post. it should be 3200 not 3700.

Last edited:
i think so. BUT, it may serve you better to opt for bh-5 if you ever plan on going top intel. anyways, my rant was just to point out that ch-5 isn't as bad as it would seem. Thing is this, you can get sticks with bh-5 or bh-6 for cheaper than 3500ch-5 so that's what i would do. i guess my rant was more on the timings of ch-5 and bh-5.

hope i didn't confuse you... i confuse myself sometimes :)

the buffalo 3700 at newegg is a good deal, the khx 3000 at newegg is good also, and the khx 3200 non-a at zipzoomfly. if you get the khx 3000 you will either end up with bh-5 or bh-6, both kick *** and should last you for a while. the buffalo is looking not as promising as before due to some getting micron chips...

so, if i were you i'd get the pc3000 hyperx...

256 stick

512 stick

remember too that with amd you wont get much out of running dual channel. if you got the 512 you could always get another next payday if you have to run dual channel. but another note, most can't run dc up past 220fsb.

the khx 3500 in my sig could probably do 230 or more with semi-tight timings... but i haven't got the chaqnce to really push them yet.

one more thing- every nforce2 board i have used has been tricky with ram, so make sure you know your board doesn't have issues with whatever you get.

Last edited:
Thanks Again. I think i am going to go with 2x256MB of KHX PC3000 from ZZF. The main reason I need this new RAM is because I am also getting a better Mobo ( The one I have right now can only do 192FSB with extra NB cooling) a Abit NF7-S because I want to be able to OC high when I finally assemble my W/C setup (I have all the parts just I have to paint the box I am going to put it in. I should look sweet when I'm done)

Thank you thank you thank you

lots of info around here on the buffalo and khx, especially the pc3000... good luck bro.

Back