• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan noise dampeners? do they work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

the piece that goes around the fan to supposely reduce vibrations do they help much at all and does it affect anything else?

Sure it works.Any time you isolate vibratations you stop the noise.
The Isolater obsorbs the vibrations which is noise.You can use rubber grommets of premade apparatices to accomplish this.Another big noise maker are the fan grids in your case .these grids restrict the air the fan is trying to move,thus making noise.
Remove the grids in front of and behind your fans.See MODDING
XASER III thread for details. THE FANMAN:cool:

MOD LINK :D

THREAD LINK

Last edited:
Do they help much more than just gromets? I just picked some of those up, but I havn't installed them yet. I've thought about the fan dampener.

The grommets are for do it yourselfers.The premade is easier to install,being one piece.TIP put a little glue on the grommets if they are the flat ones.Let the glue dry, so you dont glue your fan to your case.I would go to Home Depot and buy them.These places are crazy $0.50 each. THE FANMAN:cool:

Tip: You could make dampers out of old sneakers. But it should be expensive sneakers that has a damping-technology... Just a thought...

Any rubbery vibration obsorbing material will work.The rubber
washers are easier to produce. Besides who wants a rig that smells like tenny runners.:D Good idea as far as material goes!
THE FANMAN:cool:

i tried dampering my fans, didn't do much..
and if u fans are vibrating a lot.. thats usually a bad sign :-/
bad quality fan?

I tried a set of those ( one for the PSU and 2 for fans).
Couldn't tell any difference at all.
I wouldn't bother.

how about making an outline of the fan on some cardboard...then get an xacto blade and cut it out with a cm of space on the outline...wouldnt that help stop vibration?

Back