• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it bad that my Mushkin freezes Memtest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I bought a stick of 512MB Mushkin 3500 Level II, but it seems to have some issues :(. Memtest always freezes at 166fsb+, every time at the 57% mark. I've tried different timings and vdimm is at 2.9, but it still doesn't change. It seems to work fine at 150fsb 2-2-2-5.

Anyone have any suggestions? Do you think I should try to boot into windows and use prime95 to test it? Also, even though I know last year almost everyone got at least 166fsb out of their 1600's, is there the possibility that the chip can't take the higher fsb's even with an unlocked multi?

Thanks
Tipycol

Yes, if it produces errors at its rated speed, that is bad. The 3500 should do much higher than 166 without problems. To eliminate the possibility that the chip is the problem, drop the multiplier down a bit, but memtest should only test the memory anyway.

That's the thing, it doesn't error, it freezes (imo is worse). I did all my testing with a multiplier of 5, so while I doubt the proc is an issue, I brought it up anyway. And Memtest also brings up cpu errors, which can be good and bad at the same time (you know something is unstable with your setup, just don't know what :D)

Oh, it freezes? Try re-downloading it and re-burning the ISO. Might be a program error?

i agree with osumaxx. I had the exact same problem. Regardless of frequency or timings, my memtest would freeze at the exact same point every time. I re-created memtest on the floppy, and it worked perfectly after that.

Hmm...well I downloaded it and put it on the floppy (was using cd before), but it still froze at 57% :(

I think I'll try a different floppy and the .iso version again.

Thanks
Tipycol

If you're testing it with another stick in the system as well, try only having the new stick in. Sometimes memory dosen't get along with each other, and your new Muskin might not like your other stick.

Of couse, if the only stick in the sytem IS the Mushkin, then I'm out of ideas.
JigPu

JigPu said:
Of couse, if the only stick in the sytem IS the Mushkin, then I'm out of ideas.

Unfortunately, that is the way it's setup :(

This just came to me though, do you guys think I need to vmod the VDD on my 8rda+ to get the memory to be stable? Or is it probably just the memory if Memtest is freezing?

Tipycol

Well, I've just completed over 3hrs of Prime95 2.3 at [email protected] 2-2-2-11. Should I trust that this means the memory would be stable at most apps even though it freezes Memtest?

Thanks
Tipycol

If it can't do memtest, it's probably something you should RMA. Why have something that doesn't work how it's supposed to when you could get something that works right for no extra charge?

Tipycol said:

Unfortunately, that is the way it's setup :(

This just came to me though, do you guys think I need to vmod the VDD on my 8rda+ to get the memory to be stable? Or is it probably just the memory if Memtest is freezing?

Tipycol

No way! You shouldn't have to mod the mobo to use RAM at its designated speed. I still find it strange that memtest is freezing. I know people who have gotten thousands of memtest memory errors and the program keeps chugging along. Do you have another computer to test the memory stick in?

Originally posted by OSUmaxx

No way! You shouldn't have to mod the mobo to use RAM at its designated speed. I still find it strange that memtest is freezing. I know people who have gotten thousands of memtest memory errors and the program keeps chugging along. Do you have another computer to test the memory stick in?

I don't have any other comp to test the ram at those speeds (ECS goes 166fsb, but keeps ram at 133). I asked about the mod because I remember back a few months after the 8RDA+ came out, people were doing the VDD mod to get past the 200fsb mark.

Originally posted by [BBE]Jimbob

there are plenty more programs to use

Besides prime, what else do you use?

Back