• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I'm looking around the the CPU coolers section on websites, and I came across thing thing...

http://coolerstar.com/drthertisfor1.html

I want to put this on my Radeon 8500le.

the sale price is incredible..but I'm not sure what it is :D

phase change...does that mean that there is more to it than just the little heatsink and fan?

is it harder for some reason?

WHAT IS THIS!!

It's just a heatsink.

The phase change stands for the thermal interface material that comes with it - it uses a phase change pad (gummy square on base of heatsink).

The regular price is ridiculous, and probably a typo - probably supposed to be 13.50 instead of 135.00.

The fan is noisy and doesn't push much air.

1u's are expensive though, and I dont want to spend much ata all...

so this phase change thing is no good at all? worse than a normal HSF even?

phase change is just a replacement for thermal paste
but artic silver does preform better then it.
i would go with a small aluminum heatsink for the weight reasons
copper is just too heavy unless u modify it to mount through screws on ur graphic card

is thatSVC heatsink you showed me worth it due to the weight?

Korndog said:
kind of.. also..
cheap (1.99!!)
and it even has a polished finish
what more could u want? :)

A heatsink base that doesn't have polishing residue, would that be too much to ask? :eh?: ;)

Foxie3a said:
so this phase change thing is no good at all? worse than a normal HSF even?

It is just a normal heatsink... All stock heatsinks and many cheap heatsinks come with phase change material. Most "better" heatsinks come with paste.

Just pikc up the cheapest CPU cooler you can, people have put SLk-900's on video cards, adn tehy didn't break.

Any aluminum cooler is going to fine.

Hell, An sk-6 would be fine.

if your LE has the mounting holes in the board like mine, can you mount pretty much anything you want supporting it to the board.

I got myself an sk6+ which is fairly low profile and lightweight as far as all copper heatsinks go. you can epoxy some screws to the base of your heatsink and bolt it to your card. this is quite secure from my own experiments with my 9800 and doesnt take that much work.

mine is held in place using springs with rubber washers that push against the back of the card. the fans that come with amd heatsinks are fairly low noise and cfm, but with a premium heatsink, there is absolutly nothing wrong with them.

my roomate is using one of my lapped sk6+'s with a amd 60 mm fan on his stock 1800+ now, his case is rather poorly ventilated and it still runs at 42º. if you have good airflow in your case, its just there to get the air moving. mine doesnt use a fan as i have a 92 mm fan blowing toward it, and a 92 mm fan sucking away from it. works great, and makes very little noise.

additionally, a sk6+ is the least expensive sollution. it is $19.99 cdn right now. i think for the price and size, its the best cooler out there.

1 Vote SK-6

any other votes?

this is a Radeon 9800 pro that is going to be OCed.

IMOG said:
It's just a heatsink.

The phase change stands for the thermal interface material that comes with it - it uses a phase change pad (gummy square on base of heatsink).

The regular price is ridiculous, and probably a typo - probably supposed to be 13.50 instead of 135.00.

The fan is noisy and doesn't push much air.

Regular price: $5.99

They must have fixed it.

Back