• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any pointers to make this RAM run faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hario

I have 1Gb (2x512Mb) Crucial CT6464Z335.16T3 PC2700 that currently run stable at 186Mhz (DDR372) at 2-2-2-11 at 2.9V, and I am using Abit NF7-M.

I can run this RAM at 200Mhz with 3-4-4-8 timing, but it is not stable at all. Any tips that I should do to make this RAM goes higher than 186? Or, this might be just the limitation of the RAM?

Do you think upgrading my Power Supply might help? because I think I have a crappy PSU right now.

Improving the Power Supply will help your entire system improve it's stability, but it won't necessarally improve your memory's overclock. You may be at the limit for your memory at the voltage that your giving it (and that I assume is the max offered by your motherboard). Most likely, the only way to improve your memory's overclock border (or pass) that considered drastic. And therefore, probably isn't worth it.

The two drastic measures I see that could help your memory's overclock are increasing the voltage (which would probably require a VDIMM modification; which on whatever motherboard you have would probably be a drastic consideration) and getting a new motherboard (which, in itself, is a bit drastic if all you want to do is improve your memory's overclock). Therefore, your best options are: (1) Keep what you got (DDR372 w/ 2-2-2-11 timings w/ PC2700 is good performance most most systems - w/ exceptions of the latest Intel processors); or (2) Purchase new memory - if you really want to do this.

Yep, 2.9v is the max on my mobo, and I don't think I want to voltmod it or do something drastic.

How about RAM cooling? I read many argument that it works and it's not. Kinda confused here, because, when I touched my RAM, the RAM is totally cool.

And, if in case I can increase the FSB a few Mhz more, but have to lower the timing to 2-3-3-11, do you think it is worth it? I know 2.5-3-3-11 is kinda lame, so I'm not going to try it.

And, for AGP Voltage, should I increase it or not?

Thank you again.

It seems to be pretty much maxed out. Cooling wouldn't help it at 2.9V, especially if it's already cool to the touch. If you want a slightly higher FSB, then you can raise timings to 2-3-3 (or 2.5-3-3). But there won't be much of an improvement unless you can get an additional 14FSB (to 200FSB) with those timings. What you got now is pretty good for most PC2700.

Well the only way to get it to run faster at this point is more voltage. V-Dimm mods are usually not too bad. Its tough on that board, but not impossible.

My crucial loved 3.2v.

There is no need to increase AGP voltage, you will shorten the life or possibly kill the card.

Back