• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this RAM company?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mosel is a Taiwenese DRAM producer. Those sticks are generic-built sticks using Mosel chips.

The other two (PMI and SuperTalent) are generic memory companies that are along the same line as K-Byte, Transcend, PNY, ect. Although I have no way of knowing what chips that those two companies are actually using, I suspect very much that they use the same sort of chips as most K-Byte, Transcend, PNY. That is chips from high-production, low-cost DRAM chips from places like Sanyo, Infineon, ect.

what do you guys thinkthe best overall ram company is?

COMPANY, not model.

I'm looking at Winbond now...a dual 512...at 433mhz

any comments on that?

or should I go try finding something with BH5?

I bought some mushkin rev2 PC133 about 2 years ago and it has those same logos on it. It was some of the best ram ive ever had. I still have it, that ram did 143bus at cas2 on my old KT7A

dang i wish i had that $200. back, its amazing what the cost of memory was back then....whooo

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 151
so your vote is mushkin..

Mushkin: 1

anyone else?

Company-wise, it really doesn't matter too much which is best. Corsair, OCZ Technology, and Mushkin are all very fine companies that try to produce the best with what they got. They pride themselves on their customer support and quality of their product. They all assemble memory using the same sort of chips after going through similar testing procedures.

i vote for a-data
has the best price/overclock pc4000
has the best pc3200 (with BH5, now seems returned) and have produced also BH5 PC3500 memory for OCZ!!!
has the best PC2700 (v-data PC2700 can hit incredible over 250mhz 2-2-2-5, and a-data pc2700 in taiwan are produced with BH5!!)
v-data PC3200 can also hit incredible clocks
it's very cheap

ah a-data an v-data it's the same company

second vote to kingston for:
very good hyperx pc3000
very good hyperx pc3200
very good hyperx pc2700 (sometimes incredible clocks!!)
sometimes good hyperx pc3500 (with kingston chips clocks very well, with ch5 not always)

i'll never vote for geil, great compatibility problem with AMD, dragon series costs a lot for nothing, haven't see so much hight overclock from them...

ocz makes sometimes good sticks, sometimes useless sticks

muskin makes very good sticks but very very very expensive... :rolleyes:

corsair makes good memory sticks in general, but pc3700 and pc4000 aren't like corsair use to do.. don't buy this 2 type

so Mushkin is the best, but not for the price?

how about Winbond, and TWinmos?

Not always, other chips can perform well. A while ago the Samsung BH-6 (I think) was awesome. Currently, however, BH-5 is the chip that produces the best results.

Winbond is a DRAM manufacturer. They produce the DRAM chips that are then used in alot of overclocking memory. Only a handful of companies actually produce DDR DRAM chips. Most "memory companies" (Corsair, Kingston, TwinMOS, Mushkin, ect.) do produce their own memory chips. They purchase DRAM chips on the open market then assemble onto their PCB boards and label them as their own. Winbond doesn't mass assemble their own modules (sticks). Most memory simply labeled Winbond is generic built with Winbond chips.

Basically, right now, there are mainly 3 memory chips used on about 80% of all overclocking (PC3200+) memory. Two of these are produced by Winbond, one by Hynix. They're other DRAM chips out there (Samsung has basically a DRAM chip for everything) but they arn't as widely used in most performance memory.

Winbond BH-5 chip. - Rare, Out-of-Production, (check sticky for memory w/ BH-5)
Winbond CH-5 chip. - Used in most PC3200/PC3500
Hynix "BT" D43 chip. - Used in most PC3700/PC4x00

Winbond CH-5 chips arn't necessarally bad. They just arn't as good, in a general concensus, as Winbond BH-5 chips. But they are improving, as production goes on I would expect they could perform on-par with most Winbond BH-5 chips sometime in the future.

When Winbond or Hynix produces DRAM chips, they don't just produce it (usually) at one speed-rating (ns rating). Winbond, for example, produces CH-5, CH-6, and CH-75 chips, which are basically identical (except in possible yield rates).

The link you posted above is Winbond CH-5 memory.

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?0=200&1=201&3=296
Is HardCoreCooling.Us' BH-5 offering. It could be good, it might not be. Generally memory like this is contracted out to other memory assembling companies, which have the option to use their lower-performing chips. It's like purchasing Kingston "BH-5" memory instead of Mushkin or OCZ. It's up to the buyer to decide.

then what would u recommend at around 433mhz, and CAS 2?

i didnt know this was a vote for whats the best memory. I thougth the topic was "what company made this ram" I just posted what i thought it was.

I thought mushkin buys memory modules and they put them threw extensive testing then they lable them in the class the chip performs well in. They kinda "pre grade" the chips.

Ive seen some cheap ram on newegg that have these same markings on the chips and i thought about getting them because this was the chip that mushkin used. I wonder if you get some of the cheap ram and then get the heatspreader kits if they would do better and perform as well as some of the modules that mushkin sells.

Ive always thought muskin was the best memory makers. Of all the high clocks ive seen the muskin always went above and beyond the speed they were rated at.

Can we get a poll going? No clue how to set one up, anyone else know? Any moderators? Best Ram for Price?

Back