• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good CPU cooler (AMD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

I will be getting a new cpu soon (barton 2800+). I am going to overclock it. But i am not sure what heatsyink and fan i should get. Thanjs for all your help.:cool:

thermal right all the way then
www.svc.com for a good deal
it doesn't come with a heatsink, but its up to you.
u can have it loud and good preforming, or quiet and and not as good preforming.

Korndog meant that the heatsink doesn't come with a fan... You purchase a fan seperately.

Many people choose fans that come with controllers so you can turn them up for benchmarking and heavy usage, but have them quiet for surfing the net or word processing. You can also buy a controller seperately.

I would choose a fan with a controller - TT SFII is the popular recommendation around here, but any fan with a controller would do.

Right now I'm using an SLK900A, with this 92 MM fan and Artic Silver 5.

This combination has a reasonable noise level, and has allowed me to bump my XP1700 to 2.3 GHz. 1.9 volts, and it still only hits 50C while running Folding At Home.

Unfortunately they are out of stock on the 900A and the small tube of AS5, but I'm sure they'll be getting both soon.

Last edited:
Thermalright :cool:

Right now I have an SK-7, SK-6+, and SLK-900a.
The best bang for the buck has to be the SK-7.
True, the SLK-900a cools better. But only by a couple degrees.
If you aren't into heavy OverClocking the SK-7 is an excellent choice.

Best of luck! :)

the SK-7 has been discontinued though, so id go with a 900A if you dont feel queesy having all that weight hanging off the mobo.

I have a SLK-900a / Panaflow 92mm fan (56cfm) on my 2500 Barton, 38 idle, 41 load. Great HSF!

repo man11 said:
Unfortunately they are out of stock on the 900A and the small tube of AS5, but I'm sure they'll be getting both soon.

They have actually been out of the 900A for almost 3 weeks now. :(

Another possiablitiy is the SLK-947U. It might be more expensive but you should get a couple more degrees dropped from the 900. Stick a 92mm YS-Tech or a Panaflo on top and it should keep you cool for your overclock. I say these two becasue they have some of the best cfm to dba ratio and there not a vaccum cleaner like the Tornado ;)

Edit:

itshondo check this thread please. Thanks :)

The SLK-947U. Make sure your board has the four mounting holes before getting it. You can throw on a quiet 92mm fan for excellent cooling, or go to a 92mm tornado fan and have the best air cooling money can buy.

Thermaltake Silent Boost...

I just bought one of these for maself, and they offer surprising good value for money..

Cheers, Flix

Tnick24 said:
go with the SLK900A. i love it and it looks good too :D

If it will fit, it's fantastic. Sadly, many boards have capacitors in the way.
The SLK-947U and the SP-97 are shaped differently to avoid this problem. Unfortunately, they do require the use of the mounting holes in the motherboard. Some AMD boards don't have these holes. The SLK-900A will work with just the clips.

Actually the SP-97 is superior to the slk-947U.

id wait for the SP-97 if i was you it peroformed 3 degrees cooler on the exact same test setup then the 947, and that was only a protoype, thermalright says the reatil will yield another degree cooler.

Zalman cnps7000a-cu

This fan is as quiet as my stock fan. I can't afford a watercoller yet, so I went with fan cooling. My stock cpu fan hel temps at 39c at idle and 50c at full usage with no oc. The Zalman fan has me at 31c oc'ed from 2.08 to 2.21 at idle. Under full usage I barely reach 39c. The beautiful thing about this fan is it is VERY quiet. It will last me until I water cool in January when I can upgrade my memory.

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1924215

Back