• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fan for my Dad (quiet!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Hey guys,

I'm after a fan for my Dad's PC - it'll be an AMD 1600+ with no overclocking.

I had him try a Dragon Orb 3 and a FOP38 (I think it was). Both of which he found far too loud for his personal liking. I had these left over, I'm now running a w/c setup.

I was looking at the Thermaltake Silent Boost line - how do they perform? My Dad just wants something to keep things cool but not scream in his ear.

BTW - his comp will be in our basement, with low ambient temperatures (under 20C) <-- if that helps with recommendations.

Thanks guys.

SK7 + Panaflo L1A should do a great job. It will keep the computer cool, and it will be almost inaudible.

Thanks for the reply CamH - the SK7 and L1A are things I will look in to.

I'm really curious about the Silent Boost line - anyone have experience, or recommendations of a 'packaged' HSF that performs quietly and well?

Get a Zalman... If you get CNPS3100-plus you shouldn't need to use a fan... It won't be more quiet than that...

Happy dB hunting!

I would stay away from the silent boost and any other thermaltake heatsink - their prices are high for what you get IMO.

If you want quiet, you won't beat the sk7 and L1a IMO. But what's wrong with the stock coolers that come with retail processors? Would your dad think they are too loud?

You really don't need to spend $20-30 on something to cool a processor at stock settings.

1600+? most likely a part laying around or some OEM proc, i dont think their stock hsf's are loud, but then again, i have a smart fan I on full blast (equivalent to the sf II on full blast)

Back