• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkid

hi all, i bought a compaq presario 2500, 2150 US model number, a few weeks ago, it came stock with 256mb's of ram. I want 1024Mb's of ram, 2 sticks of 512. My question is, what kind do i get? and where do i get it from? I dont know if i should get pc2100 or like pc2700 or if i need like pc133, which kind do i need?

Upgrading the memory on your laptop is quite an easy processes once you have found the compartment where the ram is stored. The type of memory your laptop uses will be different to that of a desktop PC and its probably best to purchase it from the place you either got the laptop or from a compaq approved dealership.
If you check your manual it should tell you what type of memory you need to upgrade. I had a look on the compaq website but it gave no details of the type of memory used.

sweet, thanks bro, quick question tho man, my ram is in 2 bays, im not sure what that means but i think i just figured it out lol, i removed my ram slot with a screwdriver and i found to my supprise only 1 stick of ram, where is the other stick of ram, and yes i KNOW i have 2 sticks of 256 lol and yes i can take 1 gig of ram. either way, my next question is, where is the other stick, and how do i get to it?

sorry, i ment for it to say it came stock with 2 sticks of 256mb's of ram. it has 512 lol i know my system man.

First, I'm no expert on laptops, but once upon a time it was popular to mount onboard ram. That's ram-chips soldered directly to the mobo... I don't know if that is the case here. Anyway, If you have one free slot, than cram as much memory as you can afford into it.

i dont think ram can even be soldered onto a mobo and even if it could that would be the most retardest thing i have ever heard, no offense to you in any way, third off, this is a 1800dollar system lol, the ram is NOT soldered on, i just to 1 stick out, finnaly, the case here is that the ram is in 2 BAYS, meaning that they are split up onto 2 DIFFERENT SIDES of the motherboard, 1 which is accessable if i take the ram cover off, and the other i have no idea, where is the other at, thats my question.

Last edited:
that doesnt work if you have 2 BANKS, read on your post from crucial. 2 banks means there sepperated

2banks means that they are on different sides of the motherboard, exmaple one stick is accessible on the left, and the other is on the right side where there is no ram cover. go to www.crucial.com, choose the compaq presario 2500. it says its in 2banks

...grrr, then why when i take my stupid ram cover off i can only install 1 stick there

Back