• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question (can I smell burning?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InsecTMutant

Registered
Hi,

Erm, I've renewed my cpu from 1.8 celeron to 3.06 p4. It started to crash to the desktop whilst playin battlefield1942. Last night it rebooted altogether.

I've been checking out the temp in the bios and it's reading 56C. I've read articles and stuff and I'm kinda gettin the feeling that this is a little high.

One of my friends is saying the problem lies more with my 400w Q-Tech PSU, which is apparently inadequate for the job.

Can someone help this noobster as I'm growing more paranoid by the second:(

Did you install the CPU yourself? What heatsink are you using?

It sounds like you may need to remount and/or reapply paste.

I would not suspect the PSU yet.

As I have painfully learnt in this forum the Q-tec's in general are crap(thanx 'wonkanboy')...

It could be the PSU, but 56C is a pretty darn high bios temp reading...

You need to download MBM or something similar and report your load temperatures.

Try running without your side panel on for a day and see if that helps. If it solves the problem, you'r enot exausting enough of the hot air generated by your system.

Or my fav is to remove side panel and stick a nice big standing up house fan next to it. =P

Emberghost said:
Or my fav is to remove side panel and stick a nice big standing up house fan next to it. =P

hehehe, better yet a air circulator, 2ft dia.
might as well take out all the fans, lol!

The best first step, as in easiest and highly likely solution, is to follow CrystalMethod's advice actually.

It is quite possible that his case temps are heating up under load and causing the problem... That doesn't require remounting the HS to fix, and installing another fan or just rearranging current ones might solve his problem.

Lol, no I can't really smell burning...yet.

I'm using the standard heatsink/fan that came with the chip. I haven't used any thermal paste.

I'll try remounting and maybe reposition the front intake fan.

Thought that that temp was a tad warm. Must be why it crashed last night, as I went into the bios it said 59C! omg. I'm takin a wild stab in the dark that it has a cut-off at 60 to save it's own neck. I'm also hoping I havent damaged the poor bleeder. Hmmm.

Thanks peeps.

InsecTMutant said:
Lol, no I can't really smell burning...yet.

I'm using the standard heatsink/fan that came with the chip. I haven't used any thermal paste.

I'll try remounting and maybe reposition the front intake fan.

Thought that that temp was a tad warm. Must be why it crashed last night, as I went into the bios it said 59C! omg. I'm takin a wild stab in the dark that it has a cut-off at 60 to save it's own neck. I'm also hoping I havent damaged the poor bleeder. Hmmm.

Thanks peeps.

Do not remount the heatsink unless you have thermal paste. You cannot remount a stock heatsink without cleaning the base and reapplying thermal material or your temps will be even worse.

Do you have any case airflow?

Not that much of a noob.lol, I used the P4 heatsink/fan.

Thanks IMOG, yes I noticed the temp goin up drastically. I've stuck my old celeron back in, while I sort this out.

So, I'll be oredering some thermal paste then, like yesterday.

I've got a intake fan at the bottom front, and an exhaust fan at the top back. I've just moved the front fan to the same side of the mobo, and I cut out the grill. I've tied the cables up as much as I can, but the IDE cables are messy, so I'll order some rounded ones asap. Would I be wise to get a pucka heatsink/fan? I've heard the standard p4 one sucks.

oh, also, I did try last night with the side of the case off and it didnt seem to make a great deal of difference. I would presume from this that the it's not so much of a case cooling issue but more of a cpu heatsink/fan issue? Bloody noobs,lol.

My money is on the 400W Q-tec, which are notorious for being CRAP. They are the UK equivalent of Deer/Allied PSUs, except with higher ratings :rolleyes:

Could you please give us the name, model number of your motherboard?

Also download and run Motherboard monitor 5 and give us the voltages under idle and load.

Oh and

Welcome to the Forums!

He he, thanks.

Mobo is Gigabyte SINXP1394.

I've put the old chip back in til i get some thermal paste. will d/l mobo monitor 5 now. thanks.

So u think it's the psu. Can it affect the cpu temp significantly then?

Back