• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Ram Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cubed

I forgot what the term is called, but it's when you have two of the same RAM and they work together. Well, I bought 512mb of DDR400 Corsair XMS Memory with Platinum Heatspreads today. My 256mb of ram right now, is DDR400 3200 256mb Apacer ram, I just wanted to know if the motherboard automatically does the Dual Syncing or whatever you call it, and if it will interfere with my other ram?

You need to balance your dual channel. Right now you don't have it with 512 and 256 MB Ram. What you need is another 256 MB ram and install both at slot 1 and 2. The XMS 512 MB ram can go to slot 3. This will balance out the dual channel. It should automatically pick it up as dual.

Although your memory won't overclock very well in that setup...timings will probably suffer too. If you're overclocking, I would either run your new 512mb stick by itself in single channel, or sell your 256mb stick and get another 512mb stick like the one you just got.

And of top of all, you won't actually get double bandwidth. If you get 1-5% you should be happy!

I'm getting 2*256mb, not one 512mb ram. There Dual Channel made Corsair XMS Ram. So should I just run them alone? Or leave the 256mb in there also?

Back