• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new p4 system, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortbus_

i was thinking of getting:

p4c 2.4ghz ( hopefully m0 stepping :D )
abit ic7
1gb mushkin pc3500 black level2

does the ic7 have any problems with the other components? would you recommend anything eles?

i already have an antec 480watt psu, 80gb segate hdd, liteon 48x burner, and 9800np to go with it...

any suggestions would be great ;)

Everything you have should work fine together. Your gonna want to pick up some thermal paste and a better cooler. The Thermalright SP94 seems to be a good one atm. Also a nic card if your IC7 is a non g.

The Abit AI7 has much better memory voltage options and has onboard nic and is cheap to boot. 99 bucks at Zipzoomfly. That is also a decent option if you dont mind a springdale. I really want to try one of these if you didnt notice ehe ;)

how do you like your ic7? what ratios/fsb/voltages are you using?

also whats the differnce between a springdale and a canterwood?

:eek: :eek: Well honestly I bashed the heck out of my IC7 when I got it, preaching the asus p4p800. However, Bah..Ok, well the IC7 is a better board. I like it alot. Its alot more stable then my asus was. Grrr, was only a matter of time before someone made me say it out loud. :(

I run it 5:4 with fixed agp / pci. All gat settings are either at auto or disabled if it permits. Memory timings are 2,3,2,5. Default cpu voltage. Memory voltage is at 2.6.

Ive had the system all the way up to 289 fsb. Either the chip was crapping out or the stock northbridge cooling was reaching its limit. It has the old northbridge setup with the ring bracket.

My chip is crap so its real hard for me to really utilize this board to its full potential.

I have two IC7 mobos (see my siggy). I like them a lot, they are extremely stable. Voltage regulation is rock solid. They are good overclockers and I love the BIOS. My biggest gripe is that vmem only goes up to 2.8v.

There isn't a lot of difference between Canterwood and Springdale. The i875 was originally supposed to be more of a server chipset and the i865 more of a desktop chipset.

I agree with Freezer, the AI7 board is looking promising and seems to be a good overclocker so far. The extra vmem would be a plus since you plan on getting RAM that has BH-5 chips.

So far I beleive there are not prescott compatible mother boards, but the IC7 does however support the EE series of P4 CPUS

Buy the 2.6 for 2.8 GHz for higher multipliers. (not much more expensive)

I believe the extreme high FSB and my memory blocks me. A higher multiplier and you can go 3.3 or 3.4 easily.

To me it seems most 2.4:s level out at 3.2

You need to check with the motherboard manufacturer to find out if they will be compatible with the Prescotts or not. At the minimum, it will require a BIOS update. If I remember right, both the Abit IC7 and Asus P4C800 are supposed to support the first generation of Prescotts. Not sure about the i865 chipset mobos, but they "should" also with a BIOS update.

Back