• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunspt

Registered
I posted this in the CPU forum, but decided to post it here as it
is now down to a memory question

Here is what I plan on getting:

P4 2.8c - My goal is to get to 3.5
IC7-MAX3
Sp-94 with Smart Fan II
ThermalTake Xaser III w/420w PSU

I am still one the fence between memory:
OCZ EL PC3700 GOLD 1Gig
OCZ EL PC4000 GOLD 1Gig
Mushkin PC3500 black lvl 2

Ideally I would like to run at 250-270 FSB. Which Memory is going to give me best performance. Would I be better to go with PC4000 or PC3700 at 1:1 or PC3500 at 5:4? I don't want price to be a factor, just performance.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No suggestions? I would really appreciate some feedback.
Thanks

OCZ has a baaaaddd reputation, I wouldn't buy their sticks just on rumors alone, and i don't listen to rumors much. Do a google search on your sticks for some reviews and see how they all faired. I vote Mushkin.

nicspits said:
OCZ has a baaaaddd reputation, I wouldn't buy their sticks just on rumors alone, and i don't listen to rumors much. Do a google search on your sticks for some reviews and see how they all faired. I vote Mushkin.

Really? That's good to know. I haven't heard a whole lot about OCZ. They kind of came out of no where.

Hmm, I've only heard good things about OCZ. Especially the PC3700 GOLD. Can you point to anything specific?

Lots of people here love the Muskin lvl2, I'd go with that.

As for OCZ, I think the hype came from the Anandtech review, but their results were not entirely reproducable with the OCing crowd.

Well I read things about a year ago while making my buying decison on xms3200 by Corsair, and a couple of reviews had OCZ using older, not even well rated PC2700 chips. Mind you there weren't chips that went higher yet, but certain ones OCd better then other and OCZ wasn't even using these, so naturally it fell way down on the rankings. Reading more current reviews, it seems theyve switched company policies and are now putting pretty good chips in and at least their EL line OCs well. I'd still go with the mushkin though, it looks like it'll OC much better and hold faster timings as well.

Thanks for the info guys?
So If I was planning on running at 250-260 FSB would I be better off going with the higher bandwidth PC4000 at 1:1 or the lower latency PC3500 at 5:4?
Thanks

nicspits said:

Man where have you been? OCZ is up there with Corsairs and Mushkin as one of the best ram companies around. Actually as it stands right now the new OCZ ram that has come out beats almost everything else without problem. An example if you want is the PC3500 platinum limited edition. I've seen it running 270Mhz 1:1 2-2-2-5 timings and it uses the same bh-5 sticks that come on the top corsairs and mushkin. Now I have seen some other people running corsairs getting nearly the same speeds I've seen it far more often with the OCZ.

Back