• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POP UR HEATSPREADER - Gallery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

***just a page dedicated to show that indeed its quite possible to pop your heatspreader***

here's a pair of athlon 64's

Top.jpg

Back.jpg

feel free to add your own pictures of heatspreaders removed

graphics cards without heatspreaders and shims feel free to join in too plz

for the process:

you need:

1. razor blade

2. dental floss

3. angled cutters

first, if you look at the second picture above, the black rubber part is what needs to go, and if you look at this picture:

fxtop.jpg

do you see where the resistors on the chip are?

the objective to to cut the rubber without touching the resistors, as in do not cut too deep

once you're done cutting all around the core as in the rubber part, angle in a razor blade at a single corner and the pry BETWEEN the razor blade and the heatspreader, not between the heatspreader and the core

the razor blade is there to protect the core pcb

also, DO understand that this WILL void your warrenty

Last edited:
Razor blades work, but can easily cut into the traces on the top of the processor. I highly reccomend that you sacrifice a floppy disk and use the metal guard from that disk in place of the razor blade. Most of the time, it works just as well, and it nearly eliminates any chance of cutting a trace on the pcb.

FreeCableguy did this on another forum with the new M0 stepping pentium chips and ruined it. It has something to do with the new larger core and the way its attached. So if anyone with a M0 stepping is thinking about it they should not do it ehe.

Ive done it with a B stepping and a C stepping but dont have a camera. These seem ok to remove if your VERY careful. The newer pentium cores however if you try you may find certain doom.

Freezermug said:
FreeCableguy did this on another forum with the new M0 stepping pentium chips and ruined it. It has something to do with the new larger core and the way its attached. So if anyone with a M0 stepping is thinking about it they should not do it ehe.
Yeah, he showed by doing this that the M0 core is a P4 EE core without the lvl 3 cache...

Cereal Killa said:

Yeah, he showed by doing this that the M0 core is a P4 EE core without the lvl 3 cache...

Yes, it was a sacrafice. My point was its not like it was his first time. He has removed intel heatspreaders before without problems. So if he was unable to do it sucessfully, chances are not in your favor that you will be able to without ruining it.

Ive done a few pentium chips myself and it isnt worth the risk. Trying it with the new M0 steppings is just asking to kill it. He did show it had the new core wich is true, but he also found out that the spreader is not safe to remove. Wich is just as important imho.

I just dont want to see anyone kill thier good M0 stepping is all.

i did it on my 2.4C...
i thought i killed it at first cause one cut slid in real far but there was a bunch of space luckily so it didnt touch the chip.. phew.

but yeah.. it was hard and took like 5-10 minutes.. i was sweating all over.

and to top it off the damn digi cam took a crappy pic

max

Attachments

• watercool 003.jpg
    watercool 003.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 600
fafnir said:
***just a page dedicated to show that indeed its quite possible to pop your heatspreader***

will soon update with instructions

here's a pair of athlon 64's

Top.jpg

Back.jpg

feel free to add your own pictures of heatspreaders removed

AND THE NAKED CHIPS BENEATH

graphics cards without heatspreaders and shims feel free to join in too plz

...so let's see them... (referring to the naked 64's)

Here's my attept... I don;t have a P4 or A64 to try, but I have uncapped AMD's before... a couple of them ;)

K6:

k6naked.jpg

Underside of a K6-2:

bottom.jpg

K6-2/3's are easy.. as you can see they are only glued on the corners by a silicone like substance... the K6 on the other hand is glued all the way around with some rock hard stuff and is really hard to get off.

For a K6-2/3just take a razor blade and slip it under earch corner and then gently pry the cap off with a small screwdriver... has worked fine for me 4 times now, never a dead chip. You will have to make sure you are carefull about putting on the HSF after... you have a bare core and no rubber feet like Durons/Athlon's.

I wouldn't try to take the IHS off a M0 stepping intel as they are fused

This would explain why the mO steppings have a new solder like interface material. I wouldn't try and remove the IHS off mO steppings

Also look at the die size. this is a binned Intel EE that didnt cut the mustard and was sold as a 2.4 MO instead of an EE

NewCore.jpg

Back