• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2700 HOW TO"s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djaydida

Registered
with my motherboard, msi 6547 645e, with the sis645dx chipset. it does have all the settings that i have been reading on here. my question is, how shold i go about o/c my system, have been posting all morning, and have had no help with this issue. i've read ALOT of posts, but all seem to be using amd.

Not sure I understand the question? Are you asking how to overclock your mobo? Since this is in the memory section, I'll assume you mean how to overclock your RAM. First, we need to know what CPU you have. Intel made two 1.8 CPUs (Willamette and Northwood). The 1.8A Northy has 512k cache with a default voltage of 1.5v (O/C's very good). The 1.8 Willy has 256k cache with a default voltage of 1.75v and will only O/C to about 2 gig.

Ok, most of those older P-4 mobos had maybe 2 or 3 memory ratios: 1:1, 3:4, and sometimes 4:5. The 3:4 will run your RAM the fastest and you should be able to go up to at least 125 FSB using the 3:4 ratio. If your CPU is a Willamette, then you probably won't get much higher than 112 FSB or so (give or take a little).

RAM timings are the next thing. The lower the numbers, the faster the RAM timing is, but it also can decrease O/C stability in some situations. The higher the numbers, the slower the RAM timing is, but the more stable it'll be.

If you have a SPD setting for RAM, that's the "default" timing. I usually recommend starting out with SPD timings until you explore the limits of your mobo and CPU. Then you can gradually start using lower timings to "fine tune" your system.

I have the The 1.8A Northy. From all the reading i have been doing the only thing i can do is up my FBS. I was just trying to find out the settings, and what i should be using. I do have Memory settings in my bios, and am able to up the FSB.

Back