• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best HS & F

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fragile-x

Registered
Hi all....
i need to go out today and buy a heatsink and fan. Can you all recommend what the best bang for the buck would be. i have a gigabyte MB and the barton 2500 chip but i want to overclock it to whatever i can reasonably do.

i have read some threads that say to get the thermalright sk-7. i was wondering if that refered to the (THERMALRIGHT SLK-700 COPPER HEATSINK SOCKETA TMD 5600RPM 35.5CFM 38DBA)

and as far as fans...the same threads say to use the smartfan II....is this a case fan? can you use case fans for heatsinks? are they interchangable?

also i was looking at the coolermaster aero 7 lite......lots of reviews say this is good (better than the Aero 7+) but maybe not for overclocking? i don't know...
need your input thanks

J

A fan is a fan. You can use any fan any place. The SK-7 is not the slk-700, but its very similar. I believe the sk-7 is no longer made, but dont hold me to my word. Personaly, I dont like the aero7 lite because its aluminum.

As for best bang for the buck, I would have to say the skl-900a. Newegg has it for $30.

sounds good

the slk-900a i think is the one i will go with....looks like it's popular around here.....and any old 92mm fan will do i guess?

here's the fan i'm looking at...
Antec 92MM SMART FAN W/ DBB SENSOR VARIABLE SPEED

Re: sounds good

Fragile-x said:
the slk-900a i think is the one i will go with....looks like it's popular around here.....and any old 92mm fan will do i guess?

Just because something is popular, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's very good. As it happens, the SLK-900a is an excellent product, but I'd caution you against relying on reading posts as the sole determined of applicability to your needs.

As for 92mm fans, or fans of any other size for that matter, there's quite a difference between the various types. It's difficult to recommend a specific model without knowing your tolerance to noise and your OC objectives.

Zalman CNPS6000-CU Quiet AMD Socket 462 CPU cooler

anyone have any comments on this hsf

Zalman CNPS6000-CU Quiet AMD Socket 462 CPU cooler

i bought a sunbeam ducting overclocking kit. the ducting system directs air from outside teh case onto the hsf. temps dropped 8C. for myfriend it dropped 12C. i couldnt' beleive it until i touched hsf and it was cold! i spent $20CDN on that kit. works bettter than my tornado and slk900a by 6C.

btw, the sunbeam oC kit only works with 80mm fans. So my ax7 and panaflo and another low speed fan worked beautifully. that is, IMO, best bang for the buck. Because it will work with any 80mm fan heatsink that uses screws to hold the fan down.

Deliximus said:
i bought a sunbeam ducting overclocking kit. the ducting system directs air from outside teh case onto the hsf. temps dropped 8C. for myfriend it dropped 12C. i couldnt' beleive it until i touched hsf and it was cold! i spent $20CDN on that kit. works bettter than my tornado and slk900a by 6C.

btw, the sunbeam oC kit only works with 80mm fans. So my ax7 and panaflo and another low speed fan worked beautifully. that is, IMO, best bang for the buck. Because it will work with any 80mm fan heatsink that uses screws to hold the fan down.

i got the same kit and i was happy with it too. at first i tried to use a 80mm adapter with a 120mm panaflow, but soon found out about "static pressure" the hard way. i then just used two 80mm fans (one at the proc, one at the case). m temps got better, but i stll wasnt happy, so i made all my case fans (2 80mm, 1 92mm, and 1 120mm) exahust and taped off any areas where air might leak in so that the duct was the only intake. then my temps got respectable. of course, ill never be happy until im at absolute zero, so i then bought a pair of comair blowers and ducted them. works great.

Back