• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Formulas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From the overclockers.com site,

"To calculate what to expect for other CPUs, for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink will cool the core by the (C/W x watts) plus ambient temp. For example, at a fan inlet temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that the CPU temp will be 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C."

I hope that helps!

yeh it does, a little backwards of what i was looking for but i was able to turn it into an expression and pull what i wanted with a little basic algebra :D

i think c/w is derived empirically (s/p?), and that it would be difficult at best to find mathematically. make yourself a simulator! just for kicks.

repilce said:
yeh it does, a little backwards of what i was looking for but i was able to turn it into an expression and pull what i wanted with a little basic algebra :D

Sorry 'bout that, what exactly are you trying to find out?

I believe what you'd want is:

C/W = (Load_Temp - Idle_Temp) / (Load_Watts - Idle_Watts),

as you're trying to see what an increase in X watts will do to your temps. For all practical purposes, you could set Idle_Watts pretty low, even to zero if you can't find data for it. If your CPU manufacturer has posted a thermal wattage for full load at stock speed, you can estimate Load_Watts for an overclock of P% by

(1+P/100)*Stock_Load_Watts

I'm assuming this is approximately what you got? -- Paul

Back