• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warrenty void?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

I was told at a computer shop today that, AS 5 will void the AMD warrenty?!?!?!?! I'm not concerned and plan on using it anyway but, I got into an argument with the owner of the shop because of this.

He was selling AS Ceramique and told me that it was what AMD recomends, not AS 5. I told him that I was gonna go with the AS 5 anyway and I'd get it elsewhere and that's when he told me it would void the warrenty. I told him he was full of it and that he was just telling me that so I would buy the AS Ceramique from him and not a better product from someone else. (This guy has a habit of this, telling me once that, the FX5600 Ultra he was selling was just as good as the 9800PRO?!?!?!?!)

Was he right in this situation or was I?

that guy is full of a load of you knwo what.

i don't reccomend you ever buy from him. A retail expert is suupposed to help a client in the best decision they can get. Within the terms that they try to at least make a sale so to profit the company, but if it leads to having to go to another company for 1 time it's fine because they did their best with teh customer services as so the customer should come back cuz they ddin't carry one product but have many others.

if he was a worker of mine he woulda been long gone. I work as a travel agent and know for a fact if i can help someone and get a sale i at least try to direct them to a place where they can get the best thing they need. this leaves them smiling and knowing that they can trust us and return if ever needed.

I don't know how one termal paste can void and one can't they wouldn't be able to tell anyways once cleaned off so ya that answers that.

He's the owner of the shop. The 3 or 4 times I've been in there just looking, it struck me as a shop geared towards people with NO knowledge of computers. I have about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10 in regards to knowledge and I know not to buy from him because he's gonna sell me what's in his shop, not the best product.

One other example is, when I was looking around town for an SLK-900A, I was told by this guy that I don't need to spend all that money, I could just get a Volcano 8 HSF combo to get the job done!! I think I know more than he does what my computer needs are.

Yes, it voids your waranty. Im using as5 on my cpu, but for everything else I use ceramique. Ive already voided the waranty by overclocking, so why not? Also, the reason that it voids your waranty is because it can short your cpu out. It has metal in it. Ceramique doesnt and is completly safe.

You should have just said you had ceramique at home, and didn't need it. Then bought your stuff and left.

Why argue?

anvil82 said:
You should have just said you had ceramique at home, and didn't need it. Then bought your stuff and left.

Why argue?

The guy didn't hae the AS 5 I wanted. I also wanted to prove the guy wrong as, he has tried to screw me over a couple of times in the past.

Whether or not it voids your warranty is up to AMD. I'm not really sure if it's true, but I heard sometime ahwile back that using a non stock heatsink will void your warranty? If that is true, then I would have no doubts about the AS5 voiding the warranty. I still think that guy who owns the store if full of crap. He reminds me of the local small town computer venders who are constantly ripping people off. One of them calls himself "The President". Kind of off-topic, but I think it's funny :p He charges like $80 to install a CD-Rom drive, and like over $100 to upgrade windows... and when he does it, he stands there in front of the computer where everybody can see him and tries to look like he's doing something very complicated and important... you can have your thread back now :p

You don't gain much by proving someone wrong. If you tell him so, it p...es him off. Then he will not be inclined to give you a break on anything.

man where i bought the stuff, i can fry the cpu with ocing and that wont even void the warranty. I just have to wait for a new one, and that's it.
Isnt that cool?
Ritalin

Back