• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How r yas?

Would bad ram cause sysyem reboots?
At first i thought i had a hdd problem because i was gettin this message after every reboot :

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is 840A-5E5A
Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
16 KB in 1 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
19533472 KB total disk space.
1585776 KB in 305 hidden files.
7936 KB in 492 folders.
890688 KB in 6071 files.
17049056 KB are available.

16384 bytes in each allocation unit.
1220842 total allocation units on disk.
1065566 allocation units available on disk.

The hdd is a western digital, so i download a prog of their website to check for errors but it passed the 2 tests i ran on it.
So im startin to think its the new ram i put in 2x512mb twinmos pc3200 in a DFI LANPARTY NF2.
A new psu didnt cure the probs either, i put a new 550w one in.

If u can help me out i will be over the moon :)

If you have WindowsXP or 2000, and you turned on largesystemcache in the registry, turn it off. This is the same as going to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> "Settings" under "Performance," -> Advanced Tab -> Memory Usage Section. Set it to "Programs," not "System Cache."

That used to cause a ton of hard drive corruption for me once I got an nForce2 and two sticks of memory.

thanks for the replies

How r yas again?

I will give that a try and see what happens.

This problem came about after i adjusted my voltage in the bios from 1.6 to 1.75v ( not really a great leap ), but seemed to have a bad effect on windows, so i had to reinstall xp. I also put a new psu in before the install, but since then its been nothin but problems.
When i done the recent install with the new memory? i dont know if this has anything to do with it but i might as well let ya know :)
Ive loaded windows xp on this machine before without any problems but this time its just plain jane, no fancy backgrounds , no fancy start menu, it looks like windows 95 :) and the settings cant be changed. Is it possible that this was a bad install of windows ? and this is causin problems also?
Or would the bad ram cause these problems?

This message was in my event log

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Setup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 60055
Date: 12/6/2003
Time: 3:09:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SPARKUS
Description:
Windows Setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information.

more info on the system :

Windows xp pro
xp2600
DFI LANPARTY NF2
2x512mb pc3200 cas 2.5
q-tec 550w psu

I tried to narrow down the problem by tryin 1 stick of ram at a time, but both caused reboots, so i tried my old ram ( pc3200 major 256mb ) and it was able to install and load a game perfect, but on the twinmos memory the computer would reboot during the installationof the same game.
Someone told me that my ram has to be running in sync with my cpu, but i couldnt find where to change that in the bios.

Sorry for this head melter :) thanks

Damn man its the ram :)

Ok its faulty ram for sure !
I tried to do a new install of windows with my new ram (2x512mb twinmos) and the computer kept restartin and finding errors here there and everywhere. So i did a new install of windows with the old ram and it worked perfect, no faults at all, nothing wrong with the hdd either.
To be sure i tried the faulty ram in a computer that i was building for a friend and still there was problems. I tried to load a game on it and i was gettin the reboots, but with his old ram it run the same game perfect. So its clear now ITS GOING BACK!!!!!!!!

At first i didnt think it was possible to have two faulty sticks at once, but sure anythings possible!

Thanks for your help anyway, but i think its time to send them back :)

Back