• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pc, double ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

Hi, i have just ordered a new pc.

I currently have some samsung ddr ram, pc3200. its in 2 sticks. i was wondering if i will be able to add these sticks to the computer to make it 1024mb ram. they are the same types but after reading some posts it seems there might be problems in which memory slots they go in. i also dont know if the computer will come with one stick - 512 or 2x 256.

if it comes as 1 can i add the other 2 sticks?
if it comes as 2 can i add the other 2.

the motherboard has 4 ram slots, supporting up to 4gb i think...

ASUS P4R800-VM - FSB 800 Mainboard
512MB DDR 400 RAM (PC3200) Memory

thanks for the help.

jonny

You should be able to add them, whether you new system comes with one or two sticks. I'm not sure if you can run dual channel though...but it might be possible if you get 4x256mb sticks.

Having that many slots filled up with different RAM will seriously limit any FSB overclocking, however.

so whats the difference between 'dual channel' and just adding them!?

im not really looking to overclock. its a p4 2.8 so not alot of possibility anyway. + only got a 300w psu.

j

for dual channel configuration you may:

install identical dimms in all 4 sockets,
or
install identical dimms in socket 1 and 3
and identical dimms in socket 2 and 4

for dual channel use only identical dimmsfor each pair

always install dimms with the same cas latency for optimum compatibility

so if i put my current ram in at slots 1 and 3 then the 2 i get with the new pc in at 2 and 4 it will run dual???

j

Back