• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help on tweaking my overclock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunka27

Registered
I Have gotten my P4C 2.4 with my ASUS P4P800 up to 280FSB, i ran prime95 for 16 hours and everything seems fine. I ran burn in tests with sanrda succefully too on the cpu and memory. However when i run memtest86 i get errors and and it doesn't run very long. I have one 256 DDR533 (komusa hyperram) currently (waiting for the other) timings are set at 3-4-4-8-4 (extra 4 in the bios, don't know what its for) at a 1:1 ratio.... i'm very happy with the system, it's running fine, played quake for a couple hours, everything seems fine except memtest.. should i worry about it or no?

It's up to you. If it runs fine for the things you need it for, then great. But, your system, more precisely, your memory is not stable. Can you live with this?

Try disabling or setting to auto, the performance mode settings in Jumperless config and Chipset config. Set the memory to auto-infinite-auto. Try changing that "extra" 4, to 8. Are you at the max vdimm of 2.85? You probably only need more volts to the mem. But try those other settings. Even back down to 275.

But again, it's up to what you are willing to live with. Worse case you'll get a random lockup or reboot.

Dont feel threatened by all these people who cant live with a box that isnt prime stable for months or the 'if its stable for you, but can you live with the fact your memory isnt stable?' Just go with what seems right. If its obviously not working out as a usable workstation then poke around and see whats up. Playing quake and running all the benches for 16 hours seems to be good for you, so the oc should be stable for you.

If you want to live with slight instability, that's fine. But, memory errors can have farther reaching consequences; over time they can corrupt the operating system from a history of writing bad data back to the hard drive.

Have you seen if the errors go away if you back the FSB down a little. Remember, that RAM is only rated to 266 FSB, and you're at 280. I doubt you want to drop to 266 to fix the memtest errors, but you may only have to drop 1 or 2 MHZ to get them to go away.

Back