• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory voltage: how much is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flakk

I hear of people volt-modding their systems to push their ram upwards of 3 volts... isn't this bad for the memory?

I want to run my ram at 2.85 volts (maximum my p4p800 dlx mobo supports) but I dont want to ruin it. But when I see people going all the way up to the 3's it starts sounding safe to use 2.85. Whats people's input on this?

see my sig for my system info

2.85 is fine, I've ran 2.9 for 2 years on my (now parents system) 8k7a with some pc2100 crucial and it's still running fine. Once you get over 3.0v then I may get "concerned" but would still do it if it got me a noticebly better OC.

ok, does everyone else agree? if the majority says it's ok.. then i will do it. cuz i can get 200-300 mhz MORE overclock using higher memory voltages!

likewise, if anyone has any bad stories from personal experience or that they've heard, do tell...

i know its always a risk to overclock something.. i just want to know realistically how much so. If its not that big of a deal then im not worried. just like i dont mind bumping my cpu vcore up to 1.6 and still feel safe

Corsair recommends their XMS sticks be run at 2.7 volts, and warranties returns up to 2.8 volts. 2.85 should be fine...

No problems for me at 3v. :) If you go above, you might want to make sure there's some air flowing over your RAM...anything around or less than 3v shouldn't cause problems.

if i overvolt my ram to, say 2.85, when i dont really need to.. will this have any negative side affects (especially stability-wise)? Or is it ok to put a little more juice than is needed.

just wondering..

I think the general rule will be to use the minimum necessary to achieve stability... Overvolting will shorten the life of the ram, though by a small margin.

Ive been pumping 2.9 to my ram for months now and no problems at all.. I was also iffy about doin it but seems that ALOT of people do it without problems.

From my understanding incrasing the voltage, increases the amount of heat the memory gives off. As long as the heat is properly removed, and memory stays at the right temperature it should be fine.
Is this correct?
Or is there something else besides the heat that might hurt memory?

Back