• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 almost melts my system!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

Let me set this up:

I do not OC....yet.
I have an Asus A7N8X-X MOBO
AMD 2700+ XP
running a Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF combo. Unlapped with only the stock AMD thermal pad, no paste. I'm waiting for my SLK-900A and AS 5 to show up in the mail.
Couple of case fans set up for flow like what is suggested on these forums.

Case temp is 29C and room temp is 24C.
Running an idle temp of 30C on my processor and 32C on my MoBo.

I downloaded Prime95 and decided to run the torture test, just to see. Within 10 seconds, the temp on my CPU jumped 12C and my MoBo jumped 6C. After 2 minutes, I got scared and stopped the test because my MoBo was at 40C and my CPU was at 57C!!! 27C above idle!!!

I'll have to wait for my new stuff to try this again!!!

Just thought I'd share.

probably a mounting problem
take off ur heatsink, and make sure theres an imprint of all 4 sides and the center on the thermal pad

DoubleJ8 said:
Unlapped with only the stock AMD thermal pad, no paste.
the idea of Prime95 is to make it hot, so thats good.

But what do you have as TIM (thermal interface material) did you have the stock HS/F on, take it off and put the TT HS/F on, without a thermal goop?

if so thats your problem.

Dont freak out about 57C, sure its high, but u were running prime. Your thermal pad is the most likely reason you have such high temps. Once you put some AS on there ur temps will prolly go down to 50C on prime if not less. Those thermal pads really do such. And make sure you dont put too much AS on there, but dont be afraid, too little is bad also.

Try cpuburn, it might help you break 60c :p Anyway, definitely try some thermal paste. It should help a good deal.

make sure u completly remove the thermal pad before putting as 5 on there.
and i still suggest remounting ur heatsink.

Back