• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

made a proggy (calculates dba)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

well, i was recently looking at fans for my case.
i have a handy chart for figuring out dba of multiple different decibel level fans. kinda got sick of calculating it each time so i made a program that calculates fan dba in pairs.
i could have interpolated the table or even used the original equation, but numbers are so small.. and i'm lazy.
but it helps..
i sent it out to my friends who think because they have 4 30dba fans, their case is 120dba (Jet engine? :eek: )
i have the c++ source and proggy in the same file just incase u guys don't trust me ;) u can look at the code and compile it yourself.
Also, if u have a 50dba fan and a 20dba fan and put it in the program, you'll get 50dba! why? anything over a 10dba difference will increase like .1 dba.. didn't bother putting that in the data array, pointless.
I hope uploading my proggy doesn't violate forum rules..
i didn't find anything about that in the rules section unless it slipped by me.. if so, i aplogize and will delete the thread

//edit
sorry for using forum bandwidth at first
Click here to download the program

Last edited:
good job, i havent tried it yet but it seems pretty cool, i will give it a try when i have time. Glad you wrote it in C++ not some crap language like visual basic.....

everclock said:
good job, i havent tried it yet but it seems pretty cool, i will give it a try when i have time. Glad you wrote it in C++ not some crap language like visual basic.....

LOL!
yep, c++ is good stuff
then again, its the only thing i know :-/ (html don't count :p )
thanks, hope u like it :D

GM1010 said:
That's pretty handy, but what do I do if I have 3 fans?

omg... i was going to say why, but i thought about it, redid the math, and i can actually do it
sorry guys, i just fixed it up so it can take odd numbers of fans and not screw up.
please redownload
thanks

Constantinos said:
I 6 case fans plus 1 CPU fan, NB fan and GPU fan. How do we calculate them all?
you have to get the dbA rating from all the manufac. websites of each product.
if u downloaded the file a while ago, redownload it, i fixed it up a bit.
You have 9 fans, so put that into the program and it'll ask you for each individual dba rating

Blue4Life said:
That is a cool little program. How would a third fan affect the results? Or a 4th fan?
i had the program only accepting data in pairs of fans, not one by one
at first. but now i got it to work nicly so it will work right.

you can keep on adding as many fans as you want.
keep in mind that the real calculation for adding dbA is a log ratio (if u graph that, it curves). adding more fans of the same dbA, or close to, will make the total dbA increase, but not linearly

You need to taken account the size of each fan as well. If I have 2 fans, 1 is 120mm and 1 is 40 mm while both are rated around the same dB the 40 mm will sound louder just b/c the high pitch noise it produces.

There are lots variables to be played around here. :)

Tawcan said:
You need to taken account the size of each fan as well. If I have 2 fans, 1 is 120mm and 1 is 40 mm while both are rated around the same dB the 40 mm will sound louder just b/c the high pitch noise it produces.

i think thats a different type of db.
you'll have to factor that in yourself :p
40dbA highpitch
40dbA lowpitch
:D
and just because they are different pitch doesn't make them louder, its just makes them more annoying :)

Korndog said:

i think thats a different type of db.
you'll have to factor that in yourself :p
40dbA highpitch
40dbA lowpitch
:D
and just because they are different pitch doesn't make them louder, its just makes them more annoying :)

You should have a question and ask if GF FX 5900 is being used or not. :D

Tawcan said:

I think the db(a) scale actually takes that into account.

http://www.admnetworks.com/images/AWN4.pdf

Back